Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catchall still seems to be operating

Officerdribble
Grafter

Hi,

I'm respecting the request not to raise tickets about the current e-mail problems, but I asked a question in the 4th part of the 'Very dodgy spam e-mail situation' thread, and got no reply.

I did away with my catchall address ages ago, but I've started receiving mail addressed to fictitious aliases, just as I did before I turned off my catchall. How is this possible?

This time the aliases don't just consist of random letters - one of them has an 's' added to a valid example - but even that shouldn't have got through. And there's even one that has no alias at all (nothing in front of the '@'), although the envelope shows up in 'message source' as being sent to a valid address.

A while ago I doubled up on downloaded e-mails by setting up a second client, so I'm pretty certain these aren't ancient postdated items that have merged with the general clutter; they were received in the past couple of days.

Also, like a lot of other people, I've changed a mailbox password but it doesn't seem to have taken. On the other hand, my account password did change successfully.

I'd appreciate it if someone could look into these matters because they might be connected to the current problems.

Thanks.

V.U.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Ignore the "To" - you could be in the bcc address for example.

You need to look at the "Envelope-to:" entry at the top of the source only. That is the actual address to which the email was addressed - all the rest can be complete rubbish.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Officerdribble
Grafter

Hi,

This is precisely my point. The version with a blank alias before the '@' shows a valid address in the 'Envelope-to' field. However, I have other examples that don't show valid addresses.

For instance, Envelope-to: ockd@username.plus.com

These are the same type of mails that I received before I took the advice to ditch my catchall. How can they possibly be coming through again?

Thanks for looking.

V.U.
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sounds so familiar - the Manage my Mail page seems to be ever so flaky.
Raise a ticket and get them to kick it.
Liam
Grafter

What does the "Manage My Mail" tool show for your catch-all status? If it's 'On', set it to 'Off' and it will refresh for you.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Liam - apologies for the hijack - Is the alias code working properly?

- I changed a whole bunch of aliases to point to a newly created mailbox today. All the aliases appear to be set correctly according to the Manage my Mail page, however they still all actually send to the original default mailbox. The new mailbox is active and working OK - just the aliases changes don't seem to have worked (yet).
Officerdribble
Grafter

Okay,

My catchall was on and now I've switched it off. I suppose it's a waste of time asking why it was switched back on after I raised a ticket months ago specifically to switch it off.

Now if someone could address the mailbox password matter...

Thanks.
N/A

@braeside- changes to mail configuration have historically taken up to four hours to take effect, I'd especially expect this for creating a new alias as this change will have to filter through all the mail servers.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks - I wasn't aware of that - so making new aliases seems to work right away, but changing them might take longer - OK.

I changed mine today about 1pm and am still waiting. Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Since the new system went in I've found that any changes take a matter of minutes to become effective.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks Elvin, I have been helping others today and I had no problem with their account changes, just mine Cry

I seem to have had a history of the status of the portal appearing to change things (like AV and SPAM settings) but the change not actually happening.

Oftentimes I have to get PN to refresh things for me and then they are fine until I try some other setting...

It is so frustrating when you don't know if the change is going to work or not, or whether it is just going to take a little longer. :?
Liam
Grafter

Since the new system went in I've found that any changes take a matter of minutes to become effective.

This is correct and one of the benefits of the new tool. @braeside, I can see you have raised a ticket so we should be able to find out what is happening with your updates not happening.

Anybody else finding changes not filtering through?
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks Liam, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Smiley
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Still not working and no reply to ticket raised yesterday Sad