cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying over paid for usage on PAYG

N/A

I am on PAYG because I want the best performance and because am not a prolific downloader. Every now and then I get these letters telling me that I have used more than my basic 2gb and then another one like this telling me I have used another 2gb.

This might occur on the day before my billing date and I can't carry over what I just paid for.

To make matters worse the letter does not make it clear how long you have to use the data you just paid for:

"Dear

Please be aware you have exceeded your included monthly data transfer of 4GB - there is no need to worry.

An extra 2GB of data transfer has been automatically added to your account for this month at a charge of £1.80.

If you use up this extra 2GB before the end of the month, another 2GB will be added at the same cost of £1.80. And so on, until the end of the month.

If 4GB is unrealistic for your monthly usage, please consider increasing your included monthly data transfer. "

The problem I have is that the end of the month does not mean the calendar month but rather the end of the billing month.

As Plusnet does not allow one to carry over what one has paid for, would it be possible for them to tell me in the letter when the current month end is calculated.

e.g.

If you use up this extra 2GB before the 16th of July 2007, another 2GB will be added at the same cost of £1.80. And so on, until the end of the billing month (16th July 2007).

Note I've added a poll because I know you like them!
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

This has been asked and answered before and PN are not planning to change the way PAYGO works any time soon.
sladkart
Grafter

As Peter says PN have always said that this is too big a system change. However, I do think adding the next billing date to the email would be helpful and shouldn't require much dev work.
N/A

Have you ever experienced "Old Fashioned Service"?

It is where a company thinks about what it CAN do rather than making excuses about why it can't do it.

It is a RIP OFF that you can't carry over your usage. If it is such a tech problem for Plusnet perhaps they should make the initial allowance 4mb that way one would always have had the 2gb.

I know this was increased from 1mb to 2mb but this was mainly to make up for the lousy traffic measurement system.
MrToast
Grafter

I voted for my own option which is to do away with pre-paid and refine the granularity of the increments as per BB PAYG Basic.

I wuld have thought that was a cheap system change.

However, since PAYG is now an old product it would be more than reasonable that nothing changes.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

BBYW now allows you to buy a single gigabyte at a time, or simply to instruct the system not to buy additional usage and have restricted speeds until your next billing date.

IMO this deals with the OP's problem. As PAYG is now a legacy product set, and the replacement product deals with the problem, I have voted against the proposal.
N/A

BBYW now allows you to buy a single gigabyte at a time, or simply to instruct the system not to buy additional usage and have restricted speeds until your next billing date.

IMO this deals with the OP's problem. As PAYG is now a legacy product set, and the replacement product deals with the problem, I have voted against the proposal.

No it does not as the service is Kwap on BBYW
lingbob
Grafter

No it does not as the service is Kwap on BBYW

From where I'm sitting, BBYW is by far and away the best service I've ever had from PN.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The charging on PAYG bandwidth is based around the fact that not all of the usage will be used during the month, some will be left over for most PAYG customers. This allows us to charge the price that we do. If you allow rollover usage or charge per MB then the cost per GB works out higher. This is why the cost on PAYG Basic works out at £2.24 per GB.

Therein lies the choice, which would you rather have lower usage charges and no rollover or rollover but higher charges? I think the choice for most would work out as lower charges and no rollover.

I'd also be interested to hear what you think is wrong with BBYW.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

This is what I don't like about BBYW
N/A

The charging on PAYG bandwidth is based around the fact that not all of the usage will be used during the month, some will be left over for most PAYG customers. This allows us to charge the price that we do. If you allow rollover usage or charge per MB then the cost per GB works out higher. This is why the cost on PAYG Basic works out at £2.24 per GB.

Therein lies the choice, which would you rather have lower usage charges and no rollover or rollover but higher charges? I think the choice for most would work out as lower charges and no rollover.

I'd also be interested to hear what you think is wrong with BBYW.

I am sorry but this sounds like Hogwash to me, are you saying that you factor in the "Rip Off" factor? This sounds like TFL saying they factored in thousands of people paying fines every day into their operating expenses for the congestion charge.

Personally I would rather get what I pay for than have you charge me for an extra 2gb the day before the billing month end resulting in me not being able to use it. To clarify I would rather pay £3 for 2gb and have it carry over because it would probably mean I did not repeat this cycle of charging me for something I don't get to use EVERY MONTH.

With regard to what I think is wrong with BBYW, it is not so much a matter of what is wrong with it but rather is it the best product for me needs. Also the fact that it is a discontinued product means there is no turning back for me if it does not work out.

To quote a well respected contributor to these here forums:

Hi there,

PAYG has the highest priority on our network.
In real terms the only times you would see a difference would be when using non-interactive protocols during the evening (excluding Option 1). Surfing, streaming etc are the same priority on all products, it's just the P2P/Usenet/FTP type stuff that is treated differently some of the time.

I would say if you have no need for the extra bandwidth then the PAYG product is your best bet.

You can read the my query about PAYG vs BBYW here:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55568

N/A

No it's not hogwash, several companies base pricing on redundancy. Most notably airline companies that sell the same seats twice because they know a percentage of customers will not turn up. But if they do then they will bounce passengers.
Community Veteran

As PAYG is now a legacy product set ...

On the PUG forums PN mentioned a few months ago they are likely to bring back the PAYG products.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I think that was launch an account (BBYW Option 5) that was similar to PAYG. ie pretty much unshapped traffic. I don't think there is any intention of bringing PAYG back from being legacy.

Phil
Ianwild
Grafter

Just to clarify, the plan is to re-offer the same thing as the original PAYG account, in it's unshaped 2GB per chunk form. We think it's missing from our portfolio although we never expect it to be a massive seller compared with BBYW. It represents a different sort of product that will only ever attract a broadband user who has quite specific requirements.

The fact is that we could change the way we charge for it, for example rolling over unused credit, but to do so would change the economics and mean we probably have to increase the per GB charge to make up the difference and maintain the margin.

I'm not saying the pricing won't change for PAYG at some point. That is still to be finalised, although initially we will probably just re-release the original product and see how it goes. The fact is though that to provide a product where all traffic is in Gold at all times is significantly more expensive for us to deliver, and that needs to be accounted for somewhere.

Ian