cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carphone Warehouse to Offer Free Broadband

N/A

Great news Cheesy Now perhaps PN will drop their prices, which will pay for the external Usenet provider I have to shell out for now that PN no longer operate their own binary servers.
87 REPLIES
N/A

To its TalkTalk subscribers.

Just wonder what this is going to do to the price of broadband.

I know of a couple of places in the South England/South Wales areas, already do this with wireless broadband for all.

What is Plusnets take on this please?
avalon
Grafter

Looks like Plusnet are going to have to go into the landline and mobile phone business. You can just see the future can't you. :lol:

"I'm sorry we can't connect you to the emergency services. This is due to a power outage in our Sheffield Communications Centre. We hope to have everything working properly real soon now. If you die whilst waiting for help in the meantime, please ensure you have left enough money in your will to cover next months bill as you are required to give 30 days notice of cancellation.

Have a nice day."

<Click...Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........>
N/A

Not the only provider to be moving in this direction, Sky who is about to buy Easynet are also considering this style of broadband provision for many of its clients.

Looks like the larger boys are coming to play.
N/A

the one thing I will say in defence of Pure ISP's is that there is no way this will be sustainable at high useage, if we think 10gb cap is bad, wait til these guys do come out to play, FREE BROADBAND!!, everyone will want it, and no way can the system support it!
N/A

What could happen as a consequence is that soo many people will move to get this free internet that it frees capacity up on smaller pure ISP providers such as Plusnet.

The problem also being that turnover may well fall and so profits are smaller.

I wonder how this will pan out.
N/A

It's going to be a date to watch when they launch, apparently Car Phone Warehouse are going to follow the freeserve approach when they offered free browsers and instantly became one of the big providers.

Something that may cause PlusNet some concern here.

However, some analysts are concerned about the disruptive effect of the company’s broadband offensive. Christian Maher at Investec Securities said: “We now expect a massive escalation in local-loop unbundling and see its arrival as fundamentally negative for BT and the resellers such as PlusNet.”
___oDiN__
Grafter

i personally wouldnt touch talk talk now never mind when its free
thier phone service and broadband service suck from what ive seen and support is a joke, imagine that 1000 fold when the freeloaders arrive and i dont have to spell out whats likely to happen
JonathanW
Grafter

This is certainly something that we've been watching with interest, and its certainly going to shake the market up. To some extent the impact does depend on how they handle things such as usage, as I can't imagine that they'd let people continue to download masses of data without paying a penny for it, as even via an LLU provider this is going to be expensive.

The impact isn't going to be predictable at the moment, though this is the way that things are going with convergance, there's more coming in the following months that should allow the more traditional ISPs such as ourselves to compete. But as with anything new it needs watching for a while first.
N/A

thanks for the feedback Jon, appreciated
suec45
Grafter

I was on the CArphoneWarehouse/TalkTalks broadband before coming to PLusnet and it was absolutely awful. I cannot imagine a worse provider.

They advertised unlimited broadband and then throttled me down to nothing and claimed it was a fault, I wasted lots of money on phone calls and tech help only to find it was throttled. Not just throttled to say 512k or something, but to nothing. My connection was unusable. Luckily I recieved a letter telling me that they didnt want me as a customer any more.

The most annoying thing was that I didnt realise I was doing anything wrong, I was told it was totally unlimited.

If they cant make it work properly when they are getting £29.99 a month off someone, I VERY much doubt that they can make it work for free. I can only think the service will be even worse.

Just look at the backlog of posts on ADSLguide. They are not just the same old people moaning like some forums, the Talktalk forums are FULL of serious complaints, unusable connectionds, throttling to nothing complaints. Trust me, if you think you have it bad with Plusnet now, you aint seen nothing yet.

All talktalk care about is share price, nothing else.
N/A

Johnwhiting quotes
The impact isn't going to be predictable at the moment, though this is the way that things are going with convergance, there's more coming in the following months that should allow the more traditional ISPs such as ourselves to compete. But as with anything new it needs watching for a while first.

NeilArmstrong Quotes
Its very easy for other ISPs to sit back, wait for us to blaze the trail and then come in an learn from the mistakes. That's their choice and good luck to them but we'd rather be at the front. Althought that does sometimes mean its a bumpy ride for customers. But hell, if everyone wanted safe they'd all buy from BT icon_smile.gif Anyway, rant over, got a bit carried away there. Back to answering your question icon_smile.gif

I can see PN dont want to lead the race with free broadband,i thought PN wanted to be the best and lead the way for other ISP's..

But not in this case
JonathanW
Grafter

In this particular case, we don't have the infrastructure to be the first to offer free broadband. Whilst we're reliant on BTW for our connections and bandwidth, its not going to be possible for us to offer free broadband connections, without charging a significant ammount for another service in order to recover the cost of the connection itself, not to mention the costs for bandwidth.
N/A

1)car phone ware house spend a fortune unbubndling that number of exchanges

2)saps fall for it

3)ofcom takes the gloves off

result
N/A

sorry about the dig jon but i couldnt help my self soz

my fingers got carried away