cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant connect with my username

N/A

I had a problem with my adsl router and had to reset to default settings. I went though the config and now I cant connect to PN with my username but I can with the bt_test_user. I'm sure that I'm using the correct password.
Is there any other reason why I would be able to connect with the bt_test_user and not my own?
13 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Are you using your username in the format willwin@plusdsl.net?

or willwin@plus.net depending on which is relevant for your account?
N/A

I'm using willwin@plusdsl.net and I'm on broadband PAYG.
As far as I can tell thats what I should be using.
Any idea?
N/A

I managed to speak to support when I phoned this morning (after a 10 minute hold, last night it was over 1 hour!).
The guy says that PN are getting 'incorrect password' messages when I try to connect.
I don't understand, I have entered my password many times over and confirmed it with the support guy and 'Account details'. It still wont connect.

Does anyone know any reason for this? Could the password be corrupted when it is sent by my ADSL router?

Has anyone else had this problem?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I don't know for sure, just a general password troubleshooting response! The password could be case sensative. Are you sure the you are entering it in the correct case?

Phil
Njal
Grafter

I may be wrong (I frequently am), but aren't all Plusnet passwords lower case. My main reason for saying this is that my password for + is all lower case, but I usually mix upper & lower case in P/Ws.

Regards,

Neil
N/A

one sure fire way is to change your password on the portal to something simple for now - then try reconnecting with that.
Njal
Grafter

Caps lock on keyboard? We've all done it at some time.

Regards

Neil
N/A

Thanks for the responses but I am sure that I have typed it in correctly. I've tried many times, even copy&paste from the autoconfigure file from PN.
I guess I could try changing my password to see it that helps in some way.
N/A

Just a thought - is there an option to say that a password is required?

The BT test account doesn't require a password, so if your router isn't sending one, it would still work.

Make sure it is sending a password for the server to check.
N/A

ah.. what router are you using? I know some routers with earlier firmware's truncate passwords or do not accept some characters in the password and just corrupt it.
N/A

The router is a Belkin F5D7630uk4A which requires a password. Using 'test' for the bt test user works fine but using my 'almost as simple just more characters' password doesn't.
It worked fine before (on Monday) and I've never upgraded the firmware.
N/A

I think you should do a full factory reset job (not sure about the belkin but there is usually a "button" somewhere that you hold and it resets it to factory configuration.

If that doesn't work then maybe you should try re-loading the firmware (or better still update it to the newest) as sometimes they do get corrupt.
N/A

Working!

It makes no sense but I changed my password in the portal to something simpler (though not much simpler cause it was simple to start with) and now it is accepted.

Thanks for all the help!