cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send emails :-(

N/A

Hi, I set up broadband today, and switched from Wanapoo. Whilst waiting for broadband, I set up the connection and emails to use the new PlusNet details via a Plusnet PYG dialup account.

I am using a couple of mailboxes on the account, and can receive emails fine, however I cannot send emails, getting a obscure error code from the SMTP server.

I have checked and checked Outlook Express settings, and everything looks fine.

Does it take a while to setup the account to allow it to send via PlusNet SMTP servers? I am hoping this is the case, otherwise it will result in a return callout :-( I am hoping the problem sending will sort itself out in a day or so....

Anyone know?Huh
5 REPLIES
N/A

Is this a non-plus.net SMTP server you're trying to send mail through? If it is, in account settings under outgoing mail server, check the box that says "my server requires authentication" and then try.
markgillespie
Grafter

No it's a relay.plus.net

(sorry for the confusion, the original post is form the user account I was setting up for a friend, this is my real posting alias...)
N/A

I'm even more confused with which account you have a problem with!!!!

If its an account that been openned today and when you send an email it's either not delivered or you see an error message that relay is not permitted then it's to do with the DNS not being updated. This can take several hours. Go to this web site and use the email address check. http://www.dnsstuff.com/
markgillespie
Grafter

Yes, it's with the hicks87 account I set up for a friend.

I wasted over an hour checking, double checking and generally farting around trying to send emails. In the end, I left it, and told them to ring me if it's still broke in a couple of days!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You cannot send emails using relay.plus.net unless you are actually connected using Plusnet (dialup or ADSL). If you are connected to the internet using a different ISP sending will be rejected (done to prevent spammers using the PN servers).

Was this your problem?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)