cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot reach Critical Mass

tim_fenton
Grafter

Cannot reach Critical Mass

Anyone else having trouble reaching Critical Mass? (The server that is - I'm not going nuclear!)
I can connect to ftp.plus.net but when I connect to criticalmass.plus.net it seems to connect but then hangs on getting file list (I'm using Fetch on Mac OS X)
I was uploading fine regularly a few weeks ago.
11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Cannot reach Critical Mass

I appreciate that I have a different setup to you Tim, but I can connect ok (dialup) and up/download files from my CGI space.

Could it be that your password has expired ? I think it lasts 100 days.

Dave
N/A

> Anyone else having trouble reaching Critical Mass? (The server that is - I'm not going nuclear!)
>
> I can connect to ftp.plus.net but when I connect to criticalmass.plus.net it seems to connect but then hangs on getting file list (I'm using Fetch on Mac OS X)
>
> I was uploading fine regularly a few weeks ago.

Hi there,

There are no current issues with Criticalmass, I would suggest you follow the advice in the other message on this thread.

Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

tim_fenton
Grafter

Just tried again using my PC running FTP Explorer on XP and it is connecting according to following log but just hangs on file list:

Connecting to: PlusNet PHP
Connection Established
220 criticalmass.plus.net FTP server ready.
Connected to: PlusNet PHP
USER tjfenton
331 Password required for tjfenton.
PASS
230 User tjfenton logged in.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
TYPE A
200 Type set to A.
PORT 10,0,0,12,11,199
200 PORT command successful.
LIST
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.

Any ideas what could cause this?

> > Anyone else having trouble reaching Critical Mass? (The server that is - I'm not going nuclear!)
> >
> > I can connect to ftp.plus.net but when I connect to criticalmass.plus.net it seems to connect but then hangs on getting file list (I'm using Fetch on Mac OS X)
> >
> > I was uploading fine regularly a few weeks ago.
>
> Hi there,
>
> There are no current issues with Criticalmass, I would suggest you follow the advice in the other message on this thread.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> --
> | Mike Grice Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
>
>

tim_fenton
Grafter

Further symptoms:

When I click Stop after the "Getting File List" is obviously not doing anything it swaps to "Canceling"

I tried changing the start directory in the connection script to a known sub directory rather than the root '/'. It still hangs on the "Getting file list" but Stop now does actually stop and the status goes to "Connected"

I then tried Put of a file and it worked and showed the file as the only file. However if I refresh file list it disappears...

Stranger and stranger:..
tim_fenton
Grafter

Further symptoms:

When I click Stop after the "Getting File List" is obviously not doing anything it swaps to "Canceling"

I tried changing the start directory in the connection script to a known sub directory rather than the root '/'. It still hangs on the "Getting file list" but Stop now does actually stop and the status goes to "Connected"

I then tried Put of a file and it worked and showed the file as the only file. However if I refresh file list it disappears...

Stranger and stranger:..
fonejacker
Grafter

Hi There,

FTP normally hangs like this because the server is unable to reach back to your PC on port 20. You can normally get round this by enabling passive mode in your FTP software, otherwise I would suggest you tested this after disabling any firewalls you are running.

Let us know if this is still occuring and give us some more details about your setup, remember unless we know enough to re-create the problem here we are never going to be in a position to do anything about it. If the above doesn't help, could I ask you to also place a ticket on your account regarding this - That will enable to the networks team to directly invstigate the problem from their side.

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
tim_fenton
Grafter

Thanks Ian
I'm at work now and so will not be able to do anything until this evening.

I haven't changed anything I can think of since it was working before but I will check passive mode and any blocks on port 20.

Thanks again, Tim

> Hi There,
>
> FTP normally hangs like this because the server is unable to reach back to your PC on port 20. You can normally get round this by enabling passive mode in your FTP software, otherwise I would suggest you tested this after disabling any firewalls you are running.
>
> Let us know if this is still occuring and give us some more details about your setup, remember unless we know enough to re-create the problem here we are never going to be in a position to do anything about it. If the above doesn't help, could I ask you to also place a ticket on your account regarding this - That will enable to the networks team to directly invstigate the problem from their side.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support

tim_fenton
Grafter

One thing that occurs to me: why would FTP be working OK with ftp.plus.net and not criticalmass.plus.net if it's a configuration or firewall issue at my end?
N/A

> One thing that occurs to me: why would FTP be working OK with ftp.plus.net and not criticalmass.plus.net if it's a configuration or firewall issue at my end?

I'm not too sure what it can be -- the information I can see is inconclusive. Can you try and connect using a DOS prompt?

Start->Run
Type command and hit enter
Then type the following

ftp criticalmass.plus.net
(your username)
(your password)
ls
(you should see the listing of your CGI space)
quit

Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
tim_fenton
Grafter

Following the instructions on the Mac I got this:

ftp> ftp criticalmass.plus.net
Connected to criticalmass.plus.net.
220 criticalmass.plus.net FTP server ready.
Name (criticalmass.plus.net:tjfenton): tjfenton
Password:
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
500 EPSV not understood.
227 Entering Passive Mode (212,159,3,3,172,93).
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list

And then nothing!
I did the same with ftp.plus.net and got this:

ftp ftp.plus.net
Connected to ftp.plus.net.
220 Plus.Net FTP Server ready. Please note that if you are trying to connect with a non-subscription account you must be dialled into our network in order to gain access.
Name (ftp.plus.net:tjfenton): tjfenton
Password:
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
500 EPSV not understood.
227 Entering Passive Mode (212,159,9,131,251,4Cool
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
drwxr-xr-x 8 ftp ftp 8192 Jan 23 22:31 htdocs
drwxr-xr-x 2 ftp ftp 8192 Feb 14 06:32 logs
226-Transfer complete.
226 Quotas off

The password I use is different for the two sites I don't know if this is significant.

I am connected via ADSL and use Mac OSX on an iBook connected via wireless Buffalo airstation connected to ADSLNation router. I also connect using a PC running XP via ethernet and get the same results.

Further info: I cannot get to the cgi.tjfenton.plus.com site uwhen connected at home but was able to get to it from work! Also I can open a .htm file (main.htm) but not .php files e.g. index.php.

Bear in mind that I was able to work fine with precisely the same set up only a fortnight or so ago...

Any help greatly appreciated - I will raise a Support ticket as well...
tim_fenton
Grafter

I have removed the Virtual Server settings on the ADSL router which allows webservers to be seen via my static IP address and restarted the ADSL router.

Now everything seems OK!
I'll close the ticket but maybe this will help anyone else with a similar problem...