cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to PlusNet mail server

br1anstorm
Grafter

I cannot download emails via Outlook Express. I get the error message "ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server Cannot connect to the mail server Port 110 Secure SSL Error 0x800CCC90". So this isn't a 'timeout' problem, but I can't connect to my Plusnet mail accounts. Yet OE seems able to access and download from my virgin mail account, and my web browser works OK. I'm on Plusnet broadband via a wired Netgear DG834G router.

I am running ZoneAlarm and AVG Free, and initially thought the problem was a result of recently updating ZA. But all the ZA and AVG access settings seem to be correct. So I'm puzzled.

I have just seen the service messages and a few other posts about Plusnet server problems and maintenance. Would this issue be preventing me from accessing/downloading email even though my browser connection seems to be OK?

Any advice or comment would be welcome!

br1anstorm
5 REPLIES
mapletree
Grafter

See the service status and other threads. There is a problem with email at plusnet at the moment.
Mark
br1anstorm
Grafter

Thanks Mark ... I'd seen the service status messages and the detailed report by Bob Pullen in this forum about their server (e-mail platform) upgrading efforts. Just wasn't sure whether my problem was related to the server work, or whether there was some other glitch in my own Outlook Express or AVG and ZA settings.

I'm now assuming it's a Plusnet issue rather than something which requires me to fiddle with my computer settings. So I'll watch the Service Status messages, wish the Plusnet techies luck, and try again later!

br1anstorm
mapletree
Grafter

I would assume that your problem is down to plusnet. If it doesn't resolve itself when plusnet have fixed it then look to your own settings. 0x800CCC90 means password rejected which is the kind of error I am seeing too.

BTW: I can't connect at all to the plusnet pop3 server, earlier it was working sometimes, but it has got worse now.

Mark
br1anstorm
Grafter

Yup, the email connection problem looks like a consequence of the server problems at Plusnet. Late this afternoon I managed to connect and download messages quite normally.

Let's hope the issue has been resolved: from the Service Status messages it looks as if the engineers have been having a tough job.

And if the customer service team read these messages, full credit to everyone in the Plusnet team - for all their efforts and also for the way they keep us all informed. I guess we sometimes take these services for granted and forget how much work has to go into keeping the whole show on the road.

br1anstorm
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Thanks for your kind words, always appreciated we too understand what it's like being your side when things go wrong.

Mail seems to be OK at the moment, most of the network guys are still in the office though prepping some new servers and closely monitoring things to ensure it's all working OK.