cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling My Account Advice

N/A

As ive just signed up is there a cooling off period as my friend said where i can quite easily cancel the contract without as much fuss or paying the rest of the contract?

As AFTER my service started ive noticed if i cancel i have the £58.75 fee as i knew. but magically on the FREE included USB modem i now have a £25 cancellation fee for that. ermmm where did that appear from?

Now when i just done some reading upi seen the CANCELLATION page for the contract mentions the £25 yet says nothing for when yoy select the Modem. TBH i find that bad practise and im really finding that this host is pretty shifty. Small print is dodgy in the past, computers pah zoom in an read easy enough but when you put information on how many different pages its a bit confusing.

Im wanting to cancel without paying the fee as i signed up as it was a bargain £15 a month for 2mb link. beats most the other ISP's i looked at yet. ONCE i signed up i then find out that p2p is restricted to 10k odd on my package.

my package was outlined as being giving more priority to surfing but didnt say that i would have horrendously slow speed and stuck at a certain rate. if it was busy period for surfers and it went slow and faster for when less surfers were on id be happy. but it seems to be a flat 10k.

Am i only one whos finding this pretty shifty and at all dodgy?
14 REPLIES
N/A

To be fair the blurb does say that plus is entry level ADSL and not suitable for heavy p2p usage. The throtling is pretty extensive all the time but you do get better speeds from overnight d/l (but even then its about 30kbs). Doesn't bother me because I don't use p2p much. £14.99 for the service you get is an absolute snip IMO. I knew about the deferred fees before I signed up and don't remember it being especially obscure. It wouldn't make much business sense for them to incur costs for hardware and line activation without having some sort of mechanism for recovering costs if you leave before the profits cover them.
N/A

[THIS] page details how the "You stay, we pay" option works, if you leave.
N/A

I noticed the £25 fee for the modem hardware during sign-up, the info is there if you read carefully enough, what I do agree is shifty is the throttling of p2p services. At no point in the T&C's was it stated the extent of the limitations (and I read them very carefully), simply that it was "not recommended" for "sustained usage" of p2p. In my book this does not constitute throttling even occaisonal usage to 56k speeds and is very underhand. This is one of the reasons they have re-worded the section on 'traffic shaping' in the new T&Cs, to legitimise the use of any form of traffic management they see fit. I personally am not accepting the new T&Cs so will be migrating to another ISP, fortunately I found this page which says that during the first 45day you can migrate to another ISP free of chrage. Have a read, I think it's your best bet if you want to change ISP.

http://www.plus.net/features/customer_guarantee.shtml?link=residential_guarantee

I'd just like to add that it's really not made very clear that you have this guarantee unless you stumble across the link on the front page, more information I've had to search for or look on ADSLGuide. Very poor provision of information has been made on these new T&Cs by PlusNET IMO.
N/A

When you check the plus option(which i'm sure u did)

Priority given to basic use such as surfing and email at busy times theres alink beside this. with this info

With Broadband Plus you can use any type of Internet services you want. In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

Broadband Plus is based on a 50:1 PlusNet network contention.

If you regularly file-share and download, take a look at Broadband Premier. With a 30:1 PlusNet network contention, Broadband Premier offers a premium service and is suitable for Internet enthusiasts and families.

stating that for downloading P2P use Premier account.

it said's it gives priority to browsing etc. to me its clear if you want to download use the higher account. NOT to mention it says entry level for boardband users.

unless i'm missing something. it you got half decent speed i'm be on it to lol.

main reason its slow is because thats the package deal and the price your paying.
N/A

ill read those links after i get back from gym ta

but tbh 10k a sec is a little on the poor for LIGHT p2p usage even. it says light usage but mentions nothing about being capped at 10k.

this should be highlighted in full on the package information. my package for hosting a website is intended for light usage yet says what limits it has on it.

From what ive also read its capped on premier package too. i dont have much use for this package if i cant have good web surfing an p2p im afraid. i only needed light access to p2p im not quite planning on sharing my entire network or somet. but still 10k is dire! might as well not even offer p2p allowances on it

tbh this package is poor if this is the result. id prefer to pay £20 amonth for TRUE unlimited bandwidth not this crap exscuse of UNLIMITED.

going to chase this up officially after reading those links. False sale far as im concerned.

they can use the whole exscuse of THIS PACKAGE ISNT FOR HEAVY P2P but fact stays they DONT say there is a p2p cap do they?
N/A

Just got off the phone to PlusNET Customer Support after failing to recieve a reply to my ticket. They will be expecting you to pay for the Modem and the Deferred Activation Fee to leave, so expect a bill around £85 if you want to migrate. They've got some cheek as it's them that has changed the terms of the contract, thereby breaking it, not us, the consumer, yet they still want us to pay cancellation charges. I'm pretty sure we have a legal case on this, I will speak to my solictor freind and get back with more information.
N/A

If i wanted to leave, could i not just say "Im going to stop paying you my money, stop my service". Rather than pay all this extra stuff?
N/A

Yes but then they would probably file for a debt collection agencey to recover the money from you, a CCJ would severly damage your credit rating.
N/A

saintyboyo
From what ive also read its capped on premier package too.

I have been on the premier package not once have i experienced slow down.
they have been files i download that get slow speed because no one is sharing them etc. but nothing to do with PN. as for Bit torrents. last stuff i download has been running at 170kb - 200kb+ but thats with excellent sharing rate.

and anyone who lives near me or i work with they aint experienced any problems at all.

so TBH i don't no. sounds like 6 of 1 haf a dozen of the other.

i'll stick with plus net. and as for BB plus i told any1 who i have got to sign up no to use BB plus unless they just want to browse etc.

they didnt mention the exact liits on BB plus but surely you couldn't of expected it to be as high as you would get for 512 connection. 10kb-30kb is about rite are you would have alot more people using BB plus.

just my opinion :-)
N/A

come on!!

For 14.99 did you think that you would get the same features as the premier i'll say it for you """"ENTRY LEVEL PACKAGE"""" gives priority to email and surfing!!! If you wanna use p2p simply regrade to the premier or simply stop on the plus account and hey BUY Your MUSIC AND FILMS Huh? or is that to much to ask?

Woof, Woof!!!
Big Teeth, Big Bite!!
N/A

Just got the email saying there changing the service to cap p2p and so on then links to the Terms and conditions. and found this one...

Under the Terms and Conditions (23.1.3 you giving us immediate notice within the 14 day notice period if, under clause 24, we inform you that we are increasing our charges or changing the conditions of this Agreement to your detriment.)

So theyve changed the contract of which im not happy on so therefore i have right to cancel i think. gotta chase up after the other clause's and stuff so will probably ave way out of this. know ive lost my activation cost and then the cancelation on the modem but not paying service cancellation i think if i really chase it up.

but yep if i just put block on the payment then ill ave em trying to sue me or somet. ave started a new ticket about this so will see. not been an arse its just not what i want. so ppl can lecture about regrading to Premier but im not happy with how the serice can change so suddenly soon as i sign up.

PS on my old 512k connection and 1mb connection i had better transfer rates. so yep joemailey and maddog31i did expect better as i only used to pay £15 a month odd on BT broad band when i was with em last year. ill probably sign back up with them or somet as i had no issues.
N/A

Try Citizens Advice to see how they tell you to react to PN. But you gave them a CC for start up and they will charge that or they will not give you a MAC until you pay what they think you owe them.
N/A

Yep i understand ill lose my startup costs easy thats no worry im just worried about in total losing £100 odd for months internet lol

ta depending on reply from Plus Net ill see if i need to go to CAB
N/A

I've already posted about this, you won't have to pay the 12 months fees, but they will try and charge you the activation costs. I don't think you should have to pay a penny myself as it is THEM that has changed the contract to your detriment.