cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you explain these figures please?

Marco
Grafter

Just passed my billing date. Management has been removed so...

I did the speed tests on ADSLguide it was:
Downstream 1386 Kbps (173.3 KB/sec)

Here at Plusnet 648 Kbps

Thanks
7 REPLIES
N/A

mmkay..

(*) Make sure that the management *HAS* been removed. If it has there should be a ticket in your support area stating this and you may have received an email. The removal of the management is currently manual and may take up to 2 extra days to be removed.

(*) Was that speed test from the plus.net speed tester or from a download you are making? If it was from the speedtest, managed or not, you should not have a reduced speed as http traffic is not slowed. If it was from a download, you won't always get the maximum available download speed.

Although im sure someone will be along in a minute to put their 2p's worth in Tongue
Marco
Grafter

Thanks

1) I've had the email notification for lifting of management

2) The second result was from the Plus.net tester

So it was half what ADSLguide reported and about a third of the 2mb
Community Veteran

Turnn off any firewalls and virus scanners when doing the test. Norton software is known to cause conflicts with the PlusNet speedtest.

Also make sure the test URL does not start https:// as that will affect the results as well.
Marco
Grafter

Well I could, but I have a hardware firewall in my netgear router and avg av
Both these things were in place when I last measured 1800kbps a looooooooong time ago
Marco
Grafter

It's jumping about all over the place now - from 648 to 1849 kbps

It makes no difference whether or not windows firewall is on or off and same goes for AVG. There's nothing else running besides the Plus.net test

The very last result 1849 kbps was with firewall and AV ON Smiley

It's OK for now anyway, thanks if you did anything
passer
Grafter

Hi -
I don't think there's anything you can fix, and I don't think there's anything you're doing wrong. This is a problem that many people are suffering from at the moment. My speed consistency has been fluctuating like this for a while, and is particularly poor this evening, and other users have reported it as well. It will improve about now, and then start to fluctuate again tomorrow. One day, they may tell us why, but not today! :?
JonathanW
Grafter

If you're experiencing any sort of slow speeds, I'd suggest taking a look at This post from Stew that goes into a fair bit of detail about what you can do to try and find the source of the slowdown, and then what steps can be taken to resolve the problem.