cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you blackhole the default mailbox yet?

N/A

I received my PN newsletter today (as normal, duplicated of course to both my “postmaster” mailbox and my “master” contact mailbox as per my account details – but that’s another old story).

The newsletter referred me to the “Community” site where I could read the blog apparently dated 7 June which states:
“5) The ability to blackhole username@username.plus.com
In order to allow this we will be making it possible for customers to change the name of any existing mailbox, including the username@username default mailbox. Doing this with the catch-all option switched off will mean that mails sent to username@username will no longer be delivered.”

I recently tried to blackhole my default mailbox as per your “Help” pages but could not. I raised a ticket (no 22181245) and received the following replies:
FIRST
“am passing this question to our networks team for actioning
[internal]
please blackhole default mailbox
Regards,
link:CSA Removed
So link:CSA Removed thinks it can be done??

THEN
“Unfortunately we cannot action this due to the way our mail service is setup. The default mailbox cannot be black holed due to this. By turning the catchall off and creating redirects for legitimate mails this will reduce the amount of spam destined for this mailbox.
Kind Regards,
link:CSA Removed

So your own support staff say this cannot be done. No mention of a future fix.

So can it or can’t it? If it can, when?

Regards
GCJ

moderators note by rogerloxton: CSC Representatives names removed - please see the link:rules
23 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

At the moment it can't.

It used to be possible via a blackhole script which senior members of the CSC could run, however the new mail system (all the Manage My Mail changes) prevented this from working as it used to.

We are currently working on the facility to block all mail sent to username.plus.com, or any other domain on the account (you'll need to raise a ticket for this to begin with), however I don't have an actual date for you just yet.
N/A

Any news on this yet?

GCJ
N/A

You are now able to rename your default email address so that it does not attract spam..

Have a look at this for further info.

http://community.plus.net/blog/2007/07/05/more-mail-antispam-improvements/

Just go to your 'Email Settings' to make the changes.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but this is what I did last week, all via the mail settings: -

First of all, I don't use username@username.plus.com, so losing this is not an issue.

I changed the default mailbox name to something I wouldn't normally use, something run of the mill, like mail@, or info@ - I didn't want to use my normal mail address just in case webmail gets compromised again - which would force me to lose that one too. So, for the sake of example, lets say my default mailbox is named info@username.plus.com.

Next, I turned the catch all on - so that mail to my normal email address, plus any other I use comes through to the default mailbox.

Then I set a redirect up - on username@username.plus.com and sent it to blackhole@abuse.plus.com.

Finally, I turned off the spam checker. No. Really, I turned it off, I never needed it until the webmail incident.

Now, I still get all the mail delivered to me, to the default mailbox, so no changes required in my mail client, and all the filth that was being delivered to my username@username.plus.com mailbox disappears into the ether.

Hope that is of help to you.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

It is now possible to rename your default mailbox via "Manage My Mail" or to blackhole it by raising a ticket with CSC. See here.
N/A

What happened to the ability to change the account name.

Guess who controls the bbmilner account who would like to do so, and now it seems it's not going to be allowed.

N/A

Ah...

That will be lydgatedotnet I see.

You won't just be loosing the business of lydgatedotnet, but that of all of his family members.

Oh, well.

Steve
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

It is still possible to change your account name by raising a ticket with CSC. This is a lengthy process though, and not without problems, so the preferred PlusNet solution is issuing a free domain name to customers and blackholing the @username.plus.com virtual domain. This of course won't work for everyone, so if you have a particular need to change username contact PlusNet who have said they will still action this for you.
spinecho
Grafter

Hi

Some coments.

Next, I turned the catch all on - so that mail to my normal email address, plus any other I use comes through to the default mailbox.

Will this not lead to problems if you start getting spamed at an e-mail address that you dont use. Would it not be better to have the catch all switched off and set alias's for those e-mail addresses you do use.

Then I set a redirect up - on username@username.plus.com and sent it to blackhole@abuse.plus.com.

I have noted +net have added an option on the redirect page to blackhole e-mail addresses with out remembering the above. Good move on their part. Also if you follow my advice above you dont need to blackhole the username account as no catch all means the e-mails will bounce as a non existing account.

Finally, I turned off the spam checker. No. Really, I turned it off, I never needed it until the webmail incident.

I agree on this. I find my own spam checker does a better job. Have used Mcafee, Mailwasher and Norton over time and they all do an excellent job. Using Norton at moment.

I hope my coments provide an alternative perspective.

Please also note when renaiming the default mailbox it seems to take a while before all mail to the username account stops coming through. Must take a while for settings to migrate. If you look in the mailbox problems thread you will see the problems I am having.

Francis
hadden
Grafter

Hi

Will this not lead to problems if you start getting spamed at an e-mail address that you dont use. Would it not be better to have the catch all switched off and set alias's for those e-mail addresses you do use.

Thanks Phil.

I had done all of the same changes as it suits me as well. I have always adopted the "management by exceptions" policy as it seems more efficient only to set up aliases when I have to, and so far the only alias I have needed to setup (to avoid spam) is for the "username" mailbox".

Whenever someone 'official' is giving advice, they always seem to advocate the "Catch All off" and "Alias for everything" policies, but I don't see why that is better.

(And I'm back to zero spam again)
N/A

It is still possible to change your account name by raising a ticket with CSC. This is a lengthy process though, and not without problems, so the preferred PlusNet solution is issuing a free domain name to customers and blackholing the @username.plus.com virtual domain. This of course won't work for everyone, so if you have a particular need to change username contact PlusNet who have said they will still action this for you.

Not according to the ticket I raised on behalf of my father
bbmilner

The answer was we don't do this now.

Steve
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Username changes

One of the deliverables we committed to following the Webmail incident was the ability to allow customers to change their username. We now believe we are in a position where there are sufficient measures in place to address the majority of customers’ spam problems without the need to do this. Because of this we have taken the decision to remove the Help Assistant path that was created in order for customers to request this change.

Customers still wanting to request that their username is changed are advised to contact our support team who will be happy to discuss your individual requirements.

Username change requests in the process of being actioned will be still be honoured so don’t worry if you’ve raised a ticket and are yet to have your details transferred across to your new account.

From the Community site blog here.
N/A

Dear Mr Milner,
Due to the added spam protection features we have added we no longer offer to change customers usernames. Please check the Spam Protection Guide to find out how you can combat unwanted emails.

Visit http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/spam_protection_guide.shtml

Regards,

Reply to the support question raised.

Steve (lydgatedotnet posting as bbmilner)
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

I've asked Ian Wild to comment on this as I understood that username changes will still be processed if required by users.