cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you Compete with AOL's Unlimited 2MB for £29.99?

N/A

Would think of doing this, if they can?
33 REPLIES
newsgroupmonkey
Dabbler

basically, they're doubling their links.

256k becomes 512k (18.99) unlimited
512k becomes 1mb (24.99) unlimited
1mb becomes 2mb (29.99) unlimited

It's interesting that they're still committing to unlimited bandwith when others are thinking about capping....

Oh and I know it doesn't appear so on the site, but they are offering this deal to existing customers (fancy that, a deal for existing customers?)
N/A

ADSL

Hi

YES!! Please that would be nice F9

:lol:
N/A

yea 2 of my friends at school have AOL and theve been upgraded!
N/A

im sure my g/f is paying 17.99 for 256k (will be 512). You still cannot use a router or internet connection sharing with silver though, you need the £24.99 package for that (as far as i know). So you still have to use their stupid software that crashes a lot with a USB or PCI modem with the Silver package, but if you are willing to pay £25 you dont have to.

I think AOL is going to win some customers with that one.. but not me.. ever.

Jarv
N/A

think AOL is going to win some customers with that one.. but not me.. ever.

same here, they sux big time
N/A

AOL SPEW!!

AOL software, Blahhhhhh Ahhhh!!!!! loude choking sound, vomit ( you would think that after more than 10years of the public paying for a team of AOL developers they would eventually writing some decent internet software, NOT a hope in hell) AOL software is an insult to furtilizer and thats being kind.

**YES! I can remember how aweful AOL software was 10 years ago, it regularly screwed up my friends PC back then too. NOT only that but you had to pay for the privilage of having an AOL account and too add insult to injury you also had to pay per minute for dialup web access. Yes! sucks big time TRUE!!

AOL NEVER!!! I'd rather pay more and have something slower than AOL. Thats what I think of AOL. dropping price on ADSL speeds is another AOL marketing gimmick.

Ivan :roll:
N/A

Hmmm looks like BT are doing the same for their broadband customers, See Here
N/A

hmm, makes f9 connections now are starting to look less attractive (unreliable email excepted)

Darren
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Well exciting things are afoot and plans are being made, products changed, different pricing, and well, the first thing is MaxDSL.

MaxDSL will allow us to provision/upgrade new/existing customers on the maximum speed their line will allow. At the moment this will mean that customers will get an upgrade to a maximum of 2Mbps, some will get 1Mbps because of line conditions and some lines will only support 512kbps. This will also mean that when the faster speeds come in later in the year at 4 and 8Mbps, if your line can support it you'll get that too.

But watch this space is really all I can say....
David_W
Rising Star

MaxDSL, I dont quite understand, are you saying you *will have the ability* to upgrade, or you *will* upgrade? :p
N/A

so are u thinking about upgrading the packages then :?:

im glad AOL have done this though because it will force other ISP's to do the same!!!!

how long til 4MBps comes in :?:

Even when it does come in, hardly anyone will get it because it will be sooooo expensive!
N/A

Hi garytester,

According to DaveT these MaxDSL products with a maximum theoretical speed of 4MB will coming in around about the end of 2005 but no definite promises. My guess is that such products will again be dependant upon some changes to BT's DSL infrastructure or ATM network capabilities.

**Yes! you may well be right about the initial costs of MaxDSL but the same is true of many products when they first appear within reach of the public. I can remember when ADSL was to my way of think very expensive at around £45 per month for just 512K but now look how the pricing has tumbled with increased untake of broadband. The same can be said for VHS records, DVD players, flat panel TV displays,etc etc. Given time the MaxDSL prices will also fall and become within reach of the ordinary user.

**Speeds may well increase but that still begs the question on capping and bandwidth which still seems to be a touch and contentious subject amongst F9 users. You might have 4MB's speed but what if you want to download 10GB or moreHuh? How will 4MB's of MaxDSL impact upon the fair useage policy being discussed right now?? Thats some thing I'm sure alot of us will be very interested to know about.

Ivan
N/A

wont they abolish usage limits? if they can hold more?
N/A

More

Hi,
dont know your guess is as good as mine??

:roll: