cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we have idle timeouts soon please?

itchyfeet
Grafter

I notice that we can only migrate for free within 14 days of receiving the change in terms and conditions. However, we won't know how bad the idle timeout business is going to be until it starts. Can it be started within the 14 day period so that we can know how bad it is going to affect us, so we have the opportunity to migrate for free if its unacceptable?

Many thanks,

Brian
51 REPLIES
N/A

They can't really, you will just have to work it out manually rather than doing it with the system in place.
itchyfeet
Grafter

How can I simulate manually? Is it the same as unplugging the router from the wall and plugging back in again? Does anyone know which routers will reconnect automatically after the idle time out? Will my router reconnect straight away or will it wait until I try and connect to the internet again?

Many thanks for any advice anyone can offer. I would also welcome any reassurance from Plus.net. My wife won't be happy if she has to connect to the router (on 192.168.x.x) and login to reboot it everytime she wants to use the internet.
csogilvie
Grafter

You'd need to say what sort of Router you had for anyone to even begin to say if it will reconnect automatically.
itchyfeet
Grafter

I was trying not to be specific, so that perhaps people could offer a general list of routers that would be OK and those that wouldn't.

But since you asked, I have a Netgear DG834G.

Many thanks for any help you can offer.
N/A

How can I simulate manually? Will my router reconnect straight away or will it wait until I try and connect to the internet again?

Not very well up on these sort of things so hope you bear with me on this.

But just wondering if a reboot would be necessary, and perhaps someone from Plusnet or anyone else could clarify this for me.Given that the actual ADSL is supplied by BT would the time-outs mean that the connection between the user and the exchange would drop or is it something on the Plusnet side of things that shuts down the connection between for example my exchange and Plusnet therefore meaning that the actual ADSL connection remains live.

I hope that made sense
N/A

I'm confused as to the issue here. If you're not using your PC (or it's switched off) it doesn't matter if it disconnects.

If it DOES matter (presumably it means you're remote accessing or running a server) then what is the problem with running a tool to ping a remote server to keep the connection alive?
N/A

It could completely drop, at the exchange and PlusNet. I'm guessing that PlusNet will have a system that will notice if your connection isn't active after 30 minutes, and if it is they will drop it on there side, which will drop the whole connection. So you would have to reconnect if it did drop you.
Neil_A
Grafter

Hi there,

We don't have a firm date for introducing idle-timeouts into the network. We have added them into the terms and conditions for Plus and Home Surf so that if we do need to introduce them in the future we have provision to do so under the contract.

We're always planning to have the right amount of capacity and 100% of our customers are never on at the same time.

Thanks
N/A

It could completely drop, at the exchange and PlusNet. I'm guessing that PlusNet will have a system that will notice if your connection isn't active after 30 minutes, and if it is they will drop it on there side, which will drop the whole connection. So you would have to reconnect if it did drop you.

Are you sure about this? I don't see how PlusNet can drop you from the exchange. The router I have here can make the ADSL handshake and gladly sit connected to the exchange after logging off the PPP connection.
N/A

Well, if they drop your connection you'll be dropped from the exchange because you'll not be sending any data to PlusNet (as far as I'm aware). So, even if you were still connected with the exchange, you'd have no connection.
N/A

We don't have a firm date for introducing idle-timeouts into the network.

Hi Neil

Understand what you are saying and have no intention of making a big deal out of this just trying to get my head around how it works (the mechanics of it) I understand how it worked in the "olden days" when my modem was in direct contact with your equipment, but if we may hypothesize for a moment and say it was introduced although by what you said this could be a fair way down the road would my whole ADSL connection drop or would the connection to exchange remain?

Like I said no big deal just curious as to how such a system works
N/A

Well, if they drop your connection you'll be dropped from the exchange because you'll not be sending any data to PlusNet (as far as I'm aware). So, even if you were still connected with the exchange, you'd have no connection.

I don't believe this is the case. You have the connection between you and the DSLAM which is created by your router/modem, and then you have the PPP layer which sits over the top. As far as I am aware, the former is not controlled by PlusNet and if your PPP connection is disconnected I would suggest 99 out of 100 routers would re-establish the connection.
itchyfeet
Grafter

I'm confused as to the issue here. If you're not using your PC (or it's switched off) it doesn't matter if it disconnects.

It matters if my router doesn't automatically reconnect as I will have to reboot my router when I want to use the internet - which might mean either physically turning it off (when its in a different room) or logging on to it via my LAN and setting it to reboot. Either of which would be significantly annoying enough to make me change ISP - or at least look into buying a new router.
N/A

So, even if you were still connected with the exchange, you'd have no connection.

If that was the case if you wanted to go online and you were still connected to the exchange would a modem/router re-boot be needed?