cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use telephone to dial out ever since 8Meg Upgrade

N/A

Hello,

I have just come back from holiday to find my broadband speed has been upgraded to 8 Meg (Great). But, I noticed straight away there was a crackling on the telephone line when I dial out using the telephone. This has gradually got worse and now I can't dial out at all or receive calls.

I have only one phone socket in use in the house, which is the Master socket and there is a ADSL FILTER installed.

What could be the problem as the telphone and broadband worked fine before the upgrade.

Thanks
5 REPLIES
lyonesse

Encountered same symptoms with one of my referrees recently.
Changed the filter. Problem solved.

John
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Problems like this are often caused by a faulty filter or something wrong with one of the wires. It's worth swapping them if you can to see if that fixes it, if you know someone else with broadband you can always borrow a filter for half an hour to test it.

If the noise continues on the voice service then may be worth running a voice fault check with BT Retail to see if they can find a fault.
N/A

Nothing wrong with the filter as I have another.

Got the line checked by BT and they found a line fault, came out yesterday and fixed the problem.

All working now, broadband upgrade and the phone line going off must have been a bizarre coincidence.

Thanks
N/A

Mines been doing it to
Community Veteran

If you've been getting crackly lines today or any interference in your line and you've had any of the thunder and lightning affecting most of the UK today then I'd wait until tomorrow before doing anything as the lightning can cause a lot of interference in your line.