cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't understand p2p usage limits

N/A

I'm on the equivalent of 2MB Premier.

I usually only download a max of about 8GB/month.

This month has been big and I've downloaded just under 20GB with 9 days or so to go.

Only 8GB of this has been during peak time, I know I'm allowed 30GB peak time. But I don't understand this bit:

Usenet, Peer-2-Peer and FTP Usage
Applications such as peer-to-peer file-sharing, Usenet and FTP, can take up significant capacity on our network when used for long periods and in peak hours. For this reason we manage the usage of these applications and recommend that you schedule any large downloads for off-peak hours (00:00-08:00).

To reward light and moderate usage of these applications, each Broadband Premier up to 2Mb customer gets up to 20GB of clean peer-to-peer, USENET and FTP usage each month before any management is applied.

Is that 20GB of peak time use or is it 20GB a month no matter what time it is?

Most of my 20GB so far this month has been p2p (prob. 15GB) but most of that has been between 12 and 8am. 20GB a month for p2p seems a bit low to me, understandable if its 20gb peak time though.

It's not very fair if you're allowed 30GB of peak time traffic a month, and 100GB of off peak traffic, but only 20GB of p2p a month. What's so special about p2p traffic?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Welcome to the worst ISP in hisory mate.
N/A

it's all changing soon, have a look here

a lot easier to understand Tongue
N/A

Heh, well I've read over the help pages loads of times and had a response to my ticket and I'm still not sure, don't know why it has to be this complicated with so many different types of management and thresholds and different times for on/off peak, different limits for different protocols...

Can't see how they expect people to stay within the limits when the limits aren't exactly clear.
N/A

different limits for different protocols....

as far as i can tell i think the limits will be the same for all protocols from april
trigat
Grafter

I got one of those as well but i only used 9gb of data at peak time, i've still not had a straight answer as to why i received the email, and all the help pages seem to give conflicting advice about useage levels.
JonathanW
Grafter

Re: Can't understand p2p usage limits

Is that 20GB of peak time use or is it 20GB a month no matter what time it is?

Currently, that's 20GB of p2p/ftp/nntp transfers during the 8am - Midnight time slot. Though as has been mentioned already this will be changing shortly.
N/A

CAn you just confirm at the moment that NNTP downloads are limited to 100GB per month 12AM to 8AM.

Thanks.
JonathanW
Grafter

Currently, between midnight and 8am anything you do counts towards the total 100GB usage threshold under the SUP, but this does also include the peak usage that you do.
N/A

Thankyou.