cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't reach some websites - BT error message

N/A

Hi All
I am getting an BT Wholesale error page when I access certain websites (nothing 'cheeky' btw!)....
..and the rest of the browsing is fine with no problems.

The error message says
==========================================
SERVICE INFORMATION
Close Window

You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons. You must now shut down your browser and Internet applications before attempting to reconnect.

The BTWholesale access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down.
Your service should be resumed soon.
Or
You are testing your local connection to BT using
‘bt_test_user@startup_domain’
Or
You are testing your connection to your Service Provider using ‘bt_test_user@domain’ where domain is your Service Provider domain name.
Or
Your Service Provider is currently unable to accept your connection request please wait until service is restored or contact your Service Provider for further information.
Or
You have attempted to access an invalid Service Provider domain.
=================================================

The only one of the above options that seems to fit is the bit about the Service Provider being unable to accept my connection request.

Sometimes (maybe 20% of the time), a refresh will cause the correct page to load - so it would seem that the site exists but I'm just not getting to it.

Is this somehow linked to yesterday's problems ? (I'm asking before I spend hours looking for a 'Plusnet problem' on my own kit...!) Worth raising a ticket ?

Thanks in advance
Adrian - Suffolk UK
9 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Adrian,

More likely an intermittent DNS issue which you're hitting as opposed to anything else.

A power down of your equipment for 30 - 60 mins might be enough to sort it.

If the issue persists then try the following,

In the first instance and providing you are running Windows, from a command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter.

Then check the DNS settings in your modem / router. It may help to manually assign PlusNets DNS servers which are as follows

Hard code any two of those into the hardware, reboot, and see how it goes.
N/A

Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply.

I've done the dnsflush - and that seems to have fixed it....

I've looked in the router, and it's set for

DNS Proxy enables, auto-discovery
and
DNS Server disabled

I'm not over-confident with 'fiddling' the settings on this router - is it OK to leave as is ?? - or it it worth changing ?

Thanks
Adrian
N/A

If flushing the dns cache has sorted it then happy days.

I'd leave it at that for now.
N/A

Hi Mark

OK - thanks - I'll leave well alone...

Regards
Adrian
N/A

Hi Mark

I knew I spoke too soon - it's all going wrong again.....

I'll try your suggestions re the dns settings

Thanks
Adrian

p.s. - this problem only seems to have show itself since yesterday's power problems - any connection, do you think ?Huh
N/A

Hi Adrian,

I dont think the two issues are connected to be honest. If it was a general issue or more widespread, I reckon we'd have seen a few more forum posts reporting the same problem.

Hopefully hardcoding the DNS into the router will do the trick.
N/A

Don't forget that if you have tried to get to the pages when the network was down, your browser may have cached the pages internally so you see the error page when the site is in fact up.

Clearning it all out, or even going into dos and doing an 'ipconfig /flusdns' should clear out any of those.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've had similar problems before, got that error, rebooted router - then was fine until after a few more days then it started to reappear. This process repeated about 3-4 times then I've never seen it back again since. It wasn't frequent enough to be a problem for me.

So hopefully it might resolve itself with the manual DNS settings, or if not after a few days.
N/A

Clearning it all out, or even going into dos and doing an 'ipconfig /flusdns' should clear out any of those.

He's done that already Smiley