cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get an IP address at 8mb

dustjunky
Dabbler

My service has been upgraded to 8mbit today but I have been unable to get an IP since.

I can get sync on the line and my router reports: up of 736Kbps and down of 8160Kbps

My router alarm says:
Failed to get IP address : Interface - ppp-0
PPP Interface down : Interface - ppp-0

I've rebooted the router and tried turning it off for 30 minutes.

I also can't get onto that BT test DSL account thing.

Anyone got a clue?
20 REPLIES
N/A

got the exact thing here!! now wish they didnt bloody upgrade! trying to raise a ticket but no joy as i cant access the net throuh my own connection/no access to email at work so god only knows what ill do - will have to go sit on the phone me thinks
dustjunky
Dabbler

I raised a ticket last night, but so far no reply.

Let me know how you do on the phone Smiley
N/A

to be fair it sounds like a wide reaching problem, only 2nd bit of downtime in a year ive had so not too unhappy, bet the customer services are swamped, think ill leave it till this afternoon after work to call. or fingers crossed it works when i get home, pretty sure somethings gone wrong at the exchange end/these 8mb upgrades
N/A

Not on topic but how did you guys know of your upgrade? did plusnet email you and say its been done or was it by chance you found out?

Last question: From the time you received the message in your contact us, how long after did the upgrade take.

Laters
dustjunky
Dabbler

I found out becuase I noticed my net connection was off and it was the 10th (the date I was told it would happen).

So i logged into my router and saw it had syn'd at 8160Kbps. But no IP address Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's synced so it's not a critical error - you'll have to ring the 50p per minute number.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

You may have been moved to Tiscali

Wink
dustjunky
Dabbler

It's synced so it's not a critical error - you'll have to ring the 50p per minute number.

How is not getting an IP classed an a non-critical error?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It is - my post was a reference to this topic

Have you had any emails to say what was about to happen? (you could also look to see if there is anything in your Contact Us tickets.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dustjunky
Dabbler

Here is a snippet from the email i got

As you may know, we have recently been working with a range of broadband network partners so that we can offer all of our customers the best value broadband service in the UK, as well as access to faster broadband speeds where available. As a result of this, we will be updating your broadband connection to use a new part of our broadband network on Monday 10th April.

What do you need to do?
-----------------------
You don't need to do anything, we'll do all the work. While we carry out the work, your broadband and phone line will be offline for approximately 5 minutes (although in very rare occasions this could be a maximum of 2 hours). You will then be able to re-connect, using the same settings and hardware as normal.
N/A

It is possible you have been moved to a LLU service rather than the standard BT one.

Although i dont KNOW, this could be the reason why you can sync but you cant use the BT checker....you arent connected via bt...!

Best thing is probably to contact p.net.
dustjunky
Dabbler

Just got this in my email:

As part of our commitment to providing the best value broadband experience, we have
now successfully moved your broadband service to our alternative broadband network.

You should see no change in your service and you don't need to change any settings
or your hardware, your broadband will simply continue to work as normal.

I'll have to give it a check when I get back to my place.
N/A

Sounds like....

sounds like you have been unbundled....why else would they warn you that you will also loose voice service aswell ?
dustjunky
Dabbler

Just got back to my place and there's no change. Still can't get an IP address. It seems the email from PlusNet was right, just not what they meant i think:

You should see no change in your service and you don't need to change any settings or your hardware, your broadband will simply continue to work as normal.

Update: They replied to my support ticket asking if I have VC set on my router. Of course I do, I haven't changed any router settings as per their instructions.