cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get MAC code

N/A

Can't get MAC code

After my recent 10 day outage, I've had enough of PlusNet and am off somewhere else (don't care where, just away from PlusNet). So I asked for a MAC code so I can migrate, and this is the response received:

"Due to the way your account is provisioned we are unable to provide you with a Mac code as you are unable to migrate your service. If you wish to move to another provider you will need to cancel the service and reapply with another provider.
Please advise if you wish us to place a cancellation notice on your account."

Does anyone know what they're on about?? So it look like I'll have to cancel PlusNet then wait god knows how long to get connected up to someone else! Evil
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Can't get MAC code

sounds like you've been moved onto the Tiscalli LLU trial which at the moment you cant migrate out of, you need to do a "cease and reprovide" to get back on to an ISP that uses the BTwholesale network
N/A

Can't get MAC code

Indeed. It looks as though you are on the LLU package now, and the only way in which to get away is to have a cease and reprovide. The other point to note is the £47 charge you are liable for when you sign up to a new provider, however going by the announcements gone this weekend etc you didnt have a choice about the move and so I would challenege plusnet about this and ask them to foot the bill.

Regards,
N/A

Can't get MAC code

So they've moved me without so much as a notificationHuh And screwed up my chances of a smooth transition to another provider? How convenient for PlusNet - an easy way to put people off moving to a different ISP!

Evil
N/A

Can't get MAC code

Errrmmm.... what's this about a £47 chargeHuh
Community Veteran

Can't get MAC code

because you have to do a cease and reprovide you are effectivly getting rid of your ADSL line so when you sign up to a new ISP you are charged £47 charge for ADSL installation by BT wholesale
N/A

Can't get MAC code

It does indeed look as if you've been moved to LLU, check your ticket history and see if there is any mention of this there. As Andy has covered thats the standard activation charge, which is often 'deferred' by providers on when signing up but is needed to be paid up front to BT Wholesale by yourself or your provider.

Read through the two stickies at the top of this forum about DSLMax & Alternate Network Suppliers. PlusNet have said they will refund the user any activation charges they need to pay if they migrate away from PlusNet upon proof of payment, so you should be able to migrate without any extra costs. There will be some more downtime though I'm afraid but I'd try to argue your way out of the 30 days notice you must give PlusNet so you can migrate ASAP. It's a shame the reply to your ticket wasn't clearer about the situation.
N/A

Can't get MAC code

You're right, I have been moved!

There's a ticket to state this dated 12/4/06, but as I had no internet connectivity from 10/4/06 to 20/4/06 I missed it!

So I've now asked PlusNet to move me back to BT so I can obtain my MAC code and move elsewhere without having 5-6 weeks downtime. My latest response from CS pointed me to some FAQ's in which they make the following statement:

"Should an issue arise where the only solution is to move a customer back to BT Wholesale, we will of course do so. "

There should be no problem in moving me back, as this is the only way they can solve my problem!
Community Veteran

Can't get MAC code

Just a thought on this.

We are fast approaching summer time, and holiday season, which invariably sees large ammounts of people packing up and going off for a fortnights sun and sea.

My thoughts are: If Plusnet are giving people ten days notice of this change, and people are away for these ten days, what happens then?

Normally companies provide at least 30 days notice to any T's & C's or changes to products etc.

Read the terms and conditions of a gas or electricity supply agreement - you have to give the suply company 30 days notice of leaving, and they have to give 30 days notice of price or contract changes. Some corporate agreements stipulate 90 days notice.

My question is would therefore be, why can't Plusnet give customers 30 days notice of a change to their product, that they know full well will cause the customer headaches if they wish to leave?
N/A

Can't get MAC code

so when you sign up to a new ISP you are charged £47 charge for ADSL installation by BT wholesale

You might be charged that much (or even more ! ! Metronet charges 69.95) and of course some others don't charge, but have 12 month contracts (rather than the overly long 60 months for PN)

Oh, and the ISP not BTW charges the user, of course. (Cos it looked from the wording as if the user gets the bill direct from BT Wholesale)
N/A

Can't get MAC code

re comment on summer and giving longer notice...

Yes, nice idea. In the absence of long notice, best take the "LLU opt out" so it cannot happen anyway. Safer than trusting to get an e-mail a few days before (and possibly not spot it in time), or just be away completely, and not see e-mail until it's a "done deed".
N/A

Can't get MAC code

There are going to be many many users missing the mails and advisory messages, or not understanding the implications or not being able to respond within the 7 days from notification that PlusNet have laid down. Plenty of customers won't know about the opt-out. For many it won't make a huge difference or they'll be happy with the half-answers they receive, but I foresee a number of very angry customers over the coming months. But we've been over all of this, PlusNet finally gave in and changed their stance on informing customers and providing an opt-out, but not after substantial pressure, time, customers leaving and formal complaints.

jauro, if you've already been moved to LLU then there will be downtime being moved back to a BT connection whether you are with PlusNet or not. That's the point, there is no migration route back. Your best bet IMHO is to cease the connection with PlusNet and your pay the activation fee for a new ISP. PlusNet have clearly stated that they will reimburse users, so take advantage of this opt-out while it lasts Smiley

For those who are already in the process of being migrated across, or who are already receiving this service, and wish to leave the service, to use a different service provider, we will refund any activation charges on proof of payment. Again, this will be a one off arrangement, which must also be actioned within 14 days.
N/A

Can't get MAC code

Yep, It looks like I'll have to do a "cease & reprovide" which will mean I'll be offline for up to 6 weeks, or put up with the sh*te that is PlusNet until someone sorts out a way to do an easy migration after they've stuck you with LLU. They did suggest this though:

"There is no direct way to trasnferr you back on to BT's system without cease and reproviding you which would inccure a cost of £52.88, "

But I don't see why I should have to pay PlusNet anymore than I already have!
N/A

Can't get MAC code

That looks like the cost of the (re)provision and is paid to BT Wholesale by your ISP on your behalf, be this PlusNet or the ISP you choose to move to. After much pressure from customers PlusNet have said (see the stickies at the top of this forum) that they will refund this cost upon proof of payment. They haven't unfortunately made an open offer of compensation for the downtime.