cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't email

N/A

Can't email

Anyone else having problems emailing from their plusnet account? I'm getting "relaying denied" messages. Thought i'd ask other on here first, instead of raising a ticket and waiting days for a response (no sarcasm intended).
9 REPLIES
mcclim
Grafter

Can't email

my emails working ok ?
csogilvie
Grafter

Can't email

Are you connected via a PlusNet IP Address? You can't send mail through relay.plus.net if you are not connected to PlusNet.
N/A

Can't email

Yes, i'm connected to plusnet. Am using relay.plus.net as a relay (as i always have done).
csogilvie
Grafter

Can't email

It's working here then...

The IP you are showing as posting from on these forums isn't a PlusNet one though, so that's why I was asking.
N/A

Can't email

benzalez,

Try this, open a new command prompt and type 'telnet relay.plus.net 25', your should then get the server's SMTP banner -if you do type 'HELO benzalez.plus.com',once the server responds (assuming its not an error message) type 'MAIL FROM: postmaster@benzalez.plus.com' - it should then accept the mail from, then type 'RCPT TO: (put the email address you want to send to here)' - again you shouldn't get an error message, if you don't get an error type 'DATA' - then type the message in and end with .

If all is well it should then be sent.
(Tip in the message if you put Subject: <text> as the first line it will become the subject).

If all goes wrong put the errors you're getting here...
N/A

Can't email

DOH!! Problem solved. I was connected to my work VPN and forgot to disable it Shockedops:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Can't email

When I'm using VPN I have the routing set so that on the IP's on the work sub-net go via VPN and all other IP's go via my normal internet connection. I have no problems with emailing while the VPN is connected.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Can't email

I should do the same really. When i connect, i get given a 10.20.0.0/24 address. So have you written a script to setup the routes for you automatically? And i suppose it goes without saying that you have to disable "use default gateway on remote network".

I could write a mini perl program to grab the output from "route print", find out which ip address i've been given, and use that to setup my routes.

Or is there any easier way? It'd be great if there was something a bit more advanced in winxp's vpn configuration other than "use default gateway on remote network" :shock:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Can't email

I'm now using the Fortinet client which allows you to specify which subnets you want handled by the VPN connection, leaving all the rest as normal. Fortinet is very good and I find gives far better performance.

Before I was given that to use I was using the standard MS Windows offering in W2K. If I remember correctly I had to disable "use default gateway on remote network" as you suggested and add an entry to the routing tables for each IP I could be given when I connected. There were only about 5 so it wasn't too bad. You could only add the entry for an IP when you were using that IP, but setting it as permanent meant it was remembered for the next time you got that IP.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)