cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't email AOL

N/A

Can't email AOL

Hi there

I'm a small business premier account subscriber and I run a small network (6 PC, 1 windows SBS2003 server) in the office here.

All our mail is managed by Exchange server 2003, on our own domain (not hosted or registered with plusnet). I have MX records etc correctly pointing to the server. I can send and receive email with no problem, apart from mail to aol.com domains, which jut keeps bouncing back.

A manual telnet to an AOL mail server (eg mailin-01.mx.aol.com) gives :

554- (RTR:DU) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rtrdu.html
554- AOL does not accept e-mail transactions from dynamic or residential
554- IP addresses.
554 Connecting IP: xx.xx.xx.xx

This is neither a residential nor a dynamic IP address.
Any ideas?
David
8 REPLIES
N/A

Can't email AOL

Hi,

Have you got a block of IP's by any chance?

I know that using a mail server and having got a block of IP's you cannot email AOL ( on the 80.229 range ) as this is for some reason labelled as SPAM and is there for blocked.

It could be worth checking with AOL support as well as asking Plusnet CSC to do some checks to see if your IP is blacklisted as being a spam ip.

If so then I would suggest request for info on how to undo this. But if my friend is anything to go by, all you will get from AOL is a big F in conjunction with a Y.

Regards,
___oDiN__
Grafter

Can't email AOL

aol have blocked plusnet in the past maybe thats the issue
JonathanW
Grafter

Can't email AOL

This is something that happens with AOL from time to time, either for individual IP addresses or whole blocks of them. You could try contacting AOL to see if they can remove your particular IP address from their blacklist. The other option, would be to configure your Exchange server to send anything for AOL through relay.plus.net
N/A

Can't email AOL

Thanks for the (very speedy) ideas - I'll give them a go.

Cheers,
David
zpeterk
Grafter

Can't email AOL

I've found in the past that aohell block emails from pn, if u r in there addy book they can receive them. I have lost several jobs thru this! I now reply to aohell people from gmail and it seems to have worked for me so far
N/A

Can't email AOL

I now reply to aohell people from gmail and it seems to have worked for me so far

That's exactly what I've been doing for the past few weeks since I noticed this.

I've contacted AOL, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks again,
David
N/A

Can't email AOL

Try here http://postmaster.aol.com/

Our company had a similar problem and if I remember rightly it was due to no reverse DNS being set up by our ISP.

Regards

Jon
richpu
Dabbler

Can't email AOL

Hi,

I had the same problem using Exchange 2003,

I found that a way to make this work was to set up a new Connector just for AOL, then in the address space choose SMTP for *.AOL
in the general tab select the forward through smart host and set this to relay.plus.net

hope this helps Cheesy

Regards,
RichPu