cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to Steam.

N/A

Can't connect to Steam.

Hi All,

I've been CS-less since the 5th Nov. Whenever I try to connect to Steam I get the message "Could not connect to Steam network ....." All workstations on my LAN are affected. I've tried :-

reloading Steam
reloading Steam and Halflife.
reloading XP, Steam and Halflife.
Resetting my router to defaults and setting up again.

Thing is, if I take my laptop to work I can fine through all the company routers and corporate firewalls. If I take my laptop to a friends house I can connect fine (he's with Pipex). If I plug my laptop into my network and run it in the DMZ with SP2 firewall disabled - I still can't connect to Steam. This does not look like a port issue as I can see all needed ports using Shields UP when running in the DMZ.

I'm just about out of ideas of things to try. It works from other networks but not through Plusnet. I've seen other posts where people are having trouble with high pings in games could this be related ?

Heeeeeelllp, please.
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Can't connect to Steam.

Hi,

I'm not sure what else to suggest, it sounds like you've tried pretty much everything.

Logic says there's only really two things that could cause it, your router or something our side, but exactly what I don't know.

Do you have another modem/router (or can you borrow one)? That would prove which it was.
N/A

Can't connect to Steam.

One other point to note .. are you using the PeerGuardian P2P privacy/protection software? If you are, you'll find that blocks Steam by default.

Took me a while to work out what was going on with that one too ...
N/A

Can't connect to Steam.

run a full virus scan at there is a virus that affects steam and you get this sort of meaasge. if you own virus scan is clean then try housecall just in case its missed it. Hope that sorts you out
N/A

Can't connect to Steam.

Yeah I noticed PeerGuardian blocks it. I decided to ditch it in the end since I wasn't DLing or using anything worth blocking!