cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Register without a post code

N/A

I'm the Officer in Charge of an Air Cadet Squadron in Manchester and I've been making enquiries about having Broadband installed at my sqn. The problem is, I need a postcode to have broadband installed, and because we are on the edge of a playing field, at the end of an unadopted road, and have no postbox, we don't have a postcode, and consequently it woud appear that we can't get broadband.

We have water and electricity services without requiring a postcode for the premises, and we have a BT phone line, without requiring a postcode for the premises. All of those bills go to the home of the civilian treasurer, who lives 12 miles away, and who has a postcode.

But I have been told by support that the premises needs a postcode.

I want to get my packets of data down the wire, not through the letterbox. Surely the fact that we have a BT phoneline is good enough?

I'm also the IT & Comms officer for my Wing, which consists of 25 sqns. Not all will have postcodes, and most are looking into taking the broadband route., and I won't be able to recommend they go with plus.net Countrywide there are almost 1000 ATC Sqns, and although I realise that's a drop in the ocean to a company which took on 50,000 new customers in the last year, it's still more potential customers, who may be excluded because they need a postcode at their premises.
14 REPLIES
N/A

Can't you just register the other postcode and just put your telephone number in when signing up?

Pipex had my account address totally wrong. They setup my works address, which I used for delivery only. lol
LiamM
Grafter

The postcode needs to match that BT have for the location of the line. If they don't match, the order placed with BT will fail.

I am sure this can somehow be overcome, I would recommend giving PN Support a call on 0845 1400200 or await an answer here from one of the Comms guys.
N/A

So basically I should give them the postcode that BT have for the line, even though that postcode is 12 miles away?

Trouble is, the online form that you have to fil lin (you can't register over the phone) does not suit our circumstances. You have to register using Firstname, Surname. This is to be registered to an organisation, not an individual, as staff can move around squadrons.

We are not an individual but we are not a buisiness either. We have charitable status, and are a youth organisation. We parade for 2 1/3 hours on two nights each week, so I don't want to be paying business rates for a product which is only going to be used to network our flight sim to other cadet units around the country, and world for that matter. The useage will be less than 1Gb per month.
Community Veteran

You will need a business account for any organisation and it will allow you to enter these details.

You will probably find you do have a postcode somewhere, check the surrounding areas and you should find that one of the postcodes actually services your premises.

Do a search on royalmail's website or ask BT what postcode they have as being down for your base.
holdtight
Grafter

Yes agreed if you already have water electric and a BT line then you must have a postcode for your location, i think with some research you will find out what it is
N/A

The building has been in place since the 1941 and has had its utilities in place for a long time. They were installed before postcodes became common place. The utility companies only have the postcode for the invoice address, which is 12 miles away. We do not have a postcode.

Have spoken with Royal Mail time and time again, and because we don't have a letterbox, they don't have a postcode for us! Try the search yourself using their postcode finder, or even phone them up. Our street is Houghend Crescent and city is Manchester. It returns just one building, which is not ours.

It is a Rugby Club, which opened at the start of the year, about 100 metres from us. I have requested that Royal Mail assign us the same postcode as them, but they are being slower than a second class delivery. The amusing thing is, I couldn't raise a ticket with Royal Mail online to request a postcode, because their form requires you to have a post code! Doh!

If I register as a business I will have to take on the business plans. We are not a business. We have charitable status and raise money through fund raising events. Why should we register as a business? I have this problem with a lot of companies. To them you are either a residential user or a buisiness. They don't understand the concept of vounteer organisations. Even Greater Manchester Council will only provide services to council tax payers or businesses, and refuse to empty our bins because they can not categorise us.

I could provide longitude and lattitude to our premises to Plus.net, as this is far more precise than a postcode, but those boxes are missing from the registration form :-)

I have managed to register now. Customer services sales people told me to register with a nearby postcode, and then raise a ticket to have the address details changed.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

We have the same problem with the bins at our church. It took quite a bit of working through with the council before they would collect any. I'm currently working on the church to get broadband, but the costs are currently too high for them to justify because they need a business account.

Phil
N/A

This is my point exactly.

How is a church a business?

There seems to be no middle way with service providers (in general not just ISPs). You are either a business or a private customer. You can't be a not for profit organisation. It is almost impossible to do online transactions as an organisation. Given that you have thousands of scouts, brownies, cubs, girl guides, air cadets, army cadets, sea cadets and other voluntary organisations out there, I would not have though things could be so difficult.

The council want £1000 from us to empty our bins as they class us as a business! All of the staff are volunteers, and we don't get a salary. We are not a business, so I refuse to be classed as one and get charged for the mislabelling.
N/A

Not exactly a help but why don't you arrange for one of the AEF units to take your rubbish and drop it out of a chipmunk ontop of the council Wink
N/A

because the Chippie was retired 31st March 1996! We've been through the Bulldog since and are now on the Tutor.
N/A

Oh gawd.... been rather along time since I've been in the ATC Wink (As that post showed...)
N/A

As a thought, I know if I put a postcode down for microsoft autoroute, it will take me to the area concerned, I also believe there are websites that will show the postcode for an area. Perhaps look along those lines?

Heres a site I found on a google search
http://www.allies-computing.co.uk/plocalmap.html

Gary J.
N/A

I do appreciate these suggestions as to where to find out what our postcode is, but I've got it from Royal Mail direct. We do not have a postcode. We don't have a letterbox, therefore we do not receive mail, therefore we won't get a postcode.

It would appear that the solution is to get a letterbox, but we can't do that for reasons of security!

I still maintain that the fact we have a BT phone line should suffice.
N/A

Well as an ex atc cadet, and ex serviceman I do appreciate security concerns, but I cant see why you cannot obtain a temporary letterbox, then once you have been given a postcode, remove said letterbox.

I'm sure other cadet squadrons have postcodes, and I know a vast majority of military establishments have them. Once you have got one, you dont have to give out the details so anything sent using the postcode can be assumed to be unsafe and treated accordingly.