cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone tell me

lenseman
Grafter

Can someone tell me

Can someone tell me why I only get download speeds of 2.7Mbps when BT say I should be able to get about 6Mbps.
A test on DSL Zone states I should get 4.5 Mbps or above, which is what I got when Plusnet first maxed my connection. How things change.

Just to add more confusion to the mix, whilst I was talking to Sky regarding migration they said that before going onto their LLU system I should get around 5Mbps.

So why do I now get 2.7 or less?
13 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Can someone tell me

Hi,

Any estimates you see will be estimates of the sync speed rather than throughput. However, that's all they are, estimates, they can get it wrong because they only estimate the speed based on distance. The actual sync speed will depend on other factors apart from line length such as line quality and any external factors on the line.

There is also a trade off between speed and stability. The BT dynamic line management systems will start off aiming for the fastest speed the line will sync at but if instability is seen it will lower the sync rate by increasing the target SNR to improve the stability.

The throughput rate is then calculated using the sync rate from the table linked below

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/dslmax_guide.shtml

So for the throughput rate to be set at say 3.5Mbps the sync rate must stay sync'd at 4000kbps or higher for at least 3-5 days.
N/A

Download Speeds

Another great BT answer!!! :?:

Also how does the sky guy know from a brief chat that you can get 5.5MB lol?

.there are so many factors involved its impossible to say whatever a true download speed can be........the stats that your hardware show for up and download speeds are possibly the best you can get from your line .....however download speeds will vary from site to site ....use some mainstream websites to benchmark speeds and remember never listen to BT Tech support they are u**less
lenseman
Grafter

Re: Download Speeds

Another great BT answer!!! :?:

Also how does the sky guy know from a brief chat that you can get 5.5MB lol?

It was not a brief chat.
Soon I will soon be experiencing what sky can provide, and I am sure it cant be any worse than the service Plusnet are providing at the moment.
N/A

Sky Broadband

Good luck to you mate and in no means am i in support of plusnet.......just to warn you about sky.......they do TV....not broadband......be warned!! :lol:
N/A

Can someone tell me

Perhaps PN should do TV, they couldn't do it any worse than the service I've just cancelled.
lenseman
Grafter

Re: Sky Broadband

just to warn you about sky.......they do TV....not broadband......be warned!! :lol:

Maybe you should take a look at this:

http://broadband.sky.com/flash.htm

And then rethink your statement. ROFLMAO.
N/A

Sky Broadband

Yes

It all looks gr8 on the link you sent.....but then how many Blue Chips with Skys Budget for Advertsing are gonna put out a crap AD ....LOL il tell you how it is in the real world....it aint all fury like skys ad!!
I know loads of sky engineers who are TV installers being handed pre configured netgear 834s ..........
they dont even know what an ip address is let alone a router.....i presume you do ......
Hope it all goes well !! Cheesy
lol lol lol

And dont forget to microfilter everything......including your microwave :x
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Re: Can someone tell me

Can someone tell me why I only get download speeds of 2.7Mbps when BT say I should be able to get about 6Mbps.

Pur simply, because your are I think mixing up sync speeds and throughput. I sync at 8mbs, on a good day achieve a throughput of close to 7mps (close to the theoretical max.throughput of MaxDSL), but can see it drop to 1mps (rarely) when it's very busy.

You don't say what you sync at, nor at what times you see the throughput speeds you quote.

You need to understand these difference before risking 'jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire'.

Hope this helps,

Neil
Fixes: 115

Can someone tell me

Has anyone been able to find details of Sky's Fair Usage Policy from the above link?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

lenseman
Grafter

Can someone tell me

Has anyone been able to find details of Sky's Fair Usage Policy from the above link?

Not yet, but I have asked the question and when (if) I get a reply I will post it here.

I take it that it will be in excess of 40GB which will suit me fine.
Community Veteran

Can someone tell me

I think this might be what you are looking for...
lenseman
Grafter

Can someone tell me

Cheers, its about as vague as Plusnets. I doubt if it will ever effect me. I generally do about 7 or 8GB a month with an occasionally blip up to 20GB every three or four months.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

Can someone tell me

I dont see how plusnets can be called vague when it lists the exact amounts you can download before traffic management kicks in.