cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone take a look at my line stats..

N/A

and tell me if these explain why I'm only syncing at 3000kbps and if there's anything I can do about it. Tried plugging into the master socket which made no difference. A previous router I tried syncs even lower.

Connection Status Connected
Us Rate (Kbps) 448
Ds Rate (Kbps) 3392
US Margin 25
DS Margin 5
Trained Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 37
US Line Attenuation 22
Peak Cell Rate 1056 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 0
CRC Tx Fast 0
CRC Rx Interleaved 9
CRC Tx Interleaved 0
Path Mode Interleaved

DS margin is usually around 9-10. I think I'm still on the 10 day dlsmax test period. My MSR is showing 2000-2500.
Many thanks

Dom
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You are on Max & interleaved.

the min SNR for max is 6dB so showing 5dB is normal for your connection now.

Your stable rate should go to 3000 at some point given your current sync speed.
N/A

Re: Can someone take a look at my line stats..

and tell me if these explain why I'm only syncing at 3000kbps and if there's anything I can do about it.

If you want higher speeds, you could try using the socket behind the master socket (remove the faceplate on the NTE5), or try disconnecting the ring wire at the NTE5.

Other than that, there's not much else you can do. After your 10 day training period, you'll probably end up with a MSR of 3000 if you can consistantly connect at 3392 or pretty close to that.
N/A

Synced at just over 5000 this morning with the new router. Should my Downstream SNR margin be alot lower than the upstream?

Most of my 10 days were on the old router at lower sync speeds, will this matter now I've swapped, will my MSR eventually level out at the higher speeds? How often should I be resetting the router?

Thanks
shellsong
Grafter

If it's synching at 5000 Kbps what has happened to the Downstream SNR? Normally the SNR will drop 6-7 dB for a doubling of synch rate and your SNR was already as low as it's advisable to go for stability's sake!

I would say that you ought to expect to end up below 5000 Kbps unless your SNR can be improved by attention to house phone wiring, improved fitering and/or ring wire removal. You can best tell if that is feasible by seeing if you get an improvement by plugging the router straight into the test socket

Edit: I just noticed that you said there was no change under those circumstances so about 3 Mbps looks like the best you will get unless BT happen to do something that improves the external line
N/A

What is the 'test' socket?

Sorry for the possibley stupid questions. When would BT consider there to be a problem with the line? 3mbit is pretty poor for a max connection not far from the exchange isn't it?

Thanks for the help.
N/A

The 'test' socket is the socket behind the NTE5 front plate, it basically disconnects any extensions and is connected directly to BT wiring. If a problem is solved by using this socket, then the problem is yours and not BT's, so you either need to fix the problem by yourself and pay someone to do it.

The minimum acceptable broadband speed for an 8mb line on BT is 400kbps, but there is another number which is calculated during your first 10 days which means BT may investigate, but it's less than your MSR, so probably won't help.

Check your line for noise using the 17070 code with a normal phone plugged into the test socket.
N/A

Thanks.

Fwiw we are 1.9km by road to the exchange.
N/A

To find out how long your line is, you can't judge by the distance by road from the exchange.

I'm under 3 km from my exchange, 1.78 km straight line, and my line is over 4.7 kms long! In spite of that I managed to sync at up to 4000, until my line became too unstable and interleaving was turned on. Now I'm down to 2500.

Your line attenuation is fairly low, compared to my 57 dB, so I'd guess that you don't have as long a line as me. But your SNR margin is low too, so I suggest you check your wiring, see if it improves SNR by trying the test socket, or unplugging everything other than your modem at least, see if that increases it.

What's the highest and lowest SNR you've seen, and does it drop at specific times?
N/A

Hi,

My line has synced at 5000 but SNM dropped to 2 and disconnected. I think it may be around 7dB at 3000mbps. Plugging straight into the master socket without anything else doesn't seem to help (would the test socket be any different?)

I have noticed on the plusnet fault checker
xchange contention status: Red

The local telephone exchange, from where your broadband service is provided is currently experiencing very high levels of contention, with many broadband users. As a result of this, you may experience slower connection speeds during busy periods.

Would high contention affect sync speeds?

Other than that I assume it's just a noisy line (assuming I am the distance from the exchange I think I am) Will BT give a monkeys that I'm only syncing at 3000mbps?

Thanks again
oliverb
Grafter

Using the test sockets means that all your extension wiring is disconnected.

Extenstions are effectively unterminated stubs, which are normally too short to affect voice calls but attenuate higher frequencies and can reduce broadband performance.

In my opinion I always strongly recomend the use of a "Faceplate splitter" fitted to the master socket in preference to using multiple plugin filters.
N/A

The extension which the router is connected is a plug in type. I tried removing this and checking sync with just the router plugged in. Didn't really make much difference.

Think I'll try and fit a proper filtered face plate to the NTE5 master and maybe try and get BT to do a noise test.

I read 35dB attenuation and less should get you 8mbps? I'm getting 38dB.
shellsong
Grafter

Have you tried the BT Quiet Line test on 17070 (option 2 after the message) with only a good phone plugged into the master socket? Listen for a couple of minutes and you should hear nothing but silence-- if there is any noticeable noise report it via 151

Using attenuation to gauge your line's synch rate capability is highly overrated and will only give a very rough ballpark figure-- it is far better to try to estimate it based on the fact that you get a drop in SNR of 6-7 dB for a doubling of synch rate

Improving filtering, detaching the ring wire etcetera principally increase the SNR rather than reducing the attenuation although some line improvements can do both