cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone clarify how the new 'Vision' will affect me?

N/A

The full announcement is available here

Basically, it means that on Premier you get 20gb of on peak data for ftp/p2p/nntp that will run at high speeds. This then slow down for the next 5g and then again for everything after this.

I have 2mb premier. my usage in any one of august, september, october and november did not exceed 5gb. i use during 'peak' hours. recently my download speeds in peer2peer applications have been unnacceptably bad (less than i used to achieve using 56k). it seems to me as though they are being throttled.

can someone confirm for me that 20gb of 'gold on peak downloads' includes p2p and that, at my current usage levels, i should see NO limitation of my download speeds?
78 REPLIES
suec45
Grafter

I am a little confused with the new system so I htought I would ask directly.

I am on BB Premier.

This last full month I have used 47gb

3gb Peak

44Gb Off peak.

I hardly ever download in peak times and schedule every big download for off peak.

I use Bitorrent sometimes and Ftp sometimes to download off peak.

I play online games at all times but mostly peak timesand during the day. My Brother and mother use the same connection but only for gaming and browsing, very light usage on their part.

Could anyone comment if I will be affected and have to change my pattern? Thanks.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

What do you define as off peak as the new rules have a different definition to the SUP.
rammie1976
Grafter

What are the new 'rules'?

For BB+ too please ( - cos I remember now that Sue isn't on it but has recommended it!).

I remember someone mentioning FTP times/speeds for BB+ but I can't find it again.

Oh and can anyone recommend an easy to use ftp prog that you can set up late night scheduling on?
JonathanW
Grafter

Basically, it means that on Premier you get 20gb of on peak data for ftp/p2p/nntp that will run at high speeds. This then slow down for the next 5g and then again for everything after this.
N/A

It means you will continue to get pathetic speeds during the old peak time 4pm - 12

but if you thought that you would download in the daytime instead as it is a bit faster and doesnt count towards your peak time cap then then think again as they have now made peak time from 8am in the morning right through until 12 midnight
Community Veteran

Please please try to understand.

the "new" peak time is only about shaping, and nothing to do with capping.

AND

You will get full speed at ALL times of the day until you have used 20Gb, after which you will begin to be shaped during peak time only.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Community Veteran

Exactly - for the 90% of us who average around 5Gb per month - we will see no slow down (no traffic management) at any time for any protocol.

That is the whole point. People who are not bandwidth hogs will not be penalised. Those who use most of the capacity are the ones which see only the excessive part of their usage managed.
N/A

collinet - did "bandwidth hogs" as you call them ever affected you? As in - during your 5GB a month usage did you ever notice your line being in any way or form affected by some hog?
N/A

Exactly - for the 90% of us who average around 5Gb per month - we will see no slow down (no traffic management) at any time for any protocol.

That is the whole point. People who are not bandwidth hogs will not be penalised. Those who use most of the capacity are the ones which see only the excessive part of their usage managed.

if that is the case then fine - as someone who uses 5gb / month but pays for a premium service i expect unpenalised use - so why are my speeds in peer to peer apps like soulseek utterly disastrous*?

*edit: it isnt the source - during tests i am connecting to either high speed sources or multiple sources / good seeds and getting download speeds of 1kb/s
suec45
Grafter

And so the only action I will have to take is to use the NEW peak time hours of 8am-12pm and I will be ok? (ok meaning no throttling)

Or do I not even have to change to a new peak time?
Community Veteran

collinet - did "bandwidth hogs" as you call them ever affected you?

Yes - in the way that plusnet have previously been forced to manage ALL accounts eg on P2P and Usenet, so that they can control the actions of those using the most bandwidth. In this way - I have been personally affected by (and I recall my slightly derogatory term) high bandwidth users!

With the new system available to plusnet, they are now able to apply management only to those who use the most bandwidth - a much fairer system imho.
N/A

Hahahaha, peak hours are going to be from 8am to 12am? That's incredible.

Oh and so after i download 5gb peaktime - my p2p will slow down? By how much#?!
N/A

Interesting, it's like observing people happy because of Congestion Charge.
Some actually is happy that their ISP screw around with contracts and terms and conditions of users on monthly basis and someone actually feels better because others suffer.

Now I've seen everything.

I can leave now.

And merry Xmas to you too.
Community Veteran

Oh and so after i download 5gb peaktime - my p2p will slow down? By how much#?!

Why not go and read how it will actually work, rather than make assumptions.

You can actually download 20Gb before it will start to slow down.

Full details in the links given above.