cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can somebody just confirm my speed test results please ?

N/A

If you have been MaxDSL'ed then you could definitely have the stuck btRAS problem. I also had this problem.

My connection was also fixed this Saturday morning. I thought it had been fixed by me turning the modem off for 3 hours (9:00-12:00) but looking at pacsys' reply it may have a BT fix.

Note that when you change your username for the BT speed test (you don't have to change the password it is ignored) this does not necessarily cause the line to retrain. A reboot is required.
13 REPLIES
N/A

Hi all

Ok can sombody just confim that if I use the BT speed checker
test.speedtester.bt.com

and I then use the speed test util within plusnet and get the same speeds avg 470kbps where I should be getting about 1800+ so does that tell me that its not a plusnet problem but a bt problem

I have been getting very slow speeds for a number of days now

anybody an ideas

Dave
N/A

you trying at offpeak times like the early hours in the morning?
N/A

Thanks for the reply bumzig

no I have been testing arounf 9,10pm ish

its only been as slow as it is now for the past week before that if I ran the speed tester and approx the same time I would always get around the 1800+

I understand that I should accept that the internet can get a bit slow during peak times but this is silly I have a 2mb connection and its now as fast as when I first joined plusnet in 2003 when it was only 512K its like I'm moving backwards

Dave
N/A

you trying at offpeak times like the early hours in the morning?

BT now class off peak as being from midnight till 16:00 hours ( as mentioned By James in the past ).

So a test at 15:00 is still classed as off peak and should still yield results of 400kbps or more.

@supertaylors,

if you testing via the BT speed test and are getting 1800kbps + then this is classed as a fully working and optimal service.

I am uncertain on whether or not BT are going to adjust the figures but I am pretty sure they will keep them the same.

In your opening post I however got a slight bit confused and read your post to say that the BT speedtest yielded a speed of 4000kbps or more and that the plusnet speed test yielded 1800kbps +.

If this is the case the answer to this is rather simple. Dont rely on the plusnet speed test or even the ADSLGuide one. The plusnet one is not too reliable and thats at its best, the ADSLGuide one is off and on and hit and miss. I would suggest going to a place such as err http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ and seeing what results you yield with this test at varied times of the day.

Regards,
N/A

Cheers tomspcs for taking the time to reply to me

yes I can see why you got a bit confused with my original post as I did not explain my problem to clearly

the problem I have is up until a week ago my 2mb plusnet connection has been great but over the last week or so I have notiched my connection seem very sluggish slow download speeds etc.

every now again I used to use the plusnet speedtest util and as you know it records all the speeds that it has recorded before and I always semed to avg 1800+ kbps with quite a few 2000+ kbps results

but over the last 7 - 10 days after I have notiched the slowdown I can never achieve a test rest over 480kbps so I had a quick scan of these forums and seen some other users have been told to use the BT speed test site the one where you have to remove your plusnet username and password and replace it with the bt speedtest name and leave the password blank

so as I understand it if I use the BT login details I am bypassing plusnet completey so should be getting a test between me and the exchange , is this right ?

so when I use tne bt speedtest site I get the same results ie avg 470kbps they would tell me that its not a plusnet problem

I can see where you are coming from when you say about different speeds depending on what time of day I run the tests but as I said up until a week ago whatever time I ran the test I would would get roughly the same speeds
it just seems strange that it has dropped of so much in just a week

for your info I have ran the test at various times during the day and night but I admit not to having run a test in the early hours of the morning

if it helps I am not on the new maxdsl service yet ( I think )

any other thoughts ?
N/A

Ok I have now tried the speed test utils and 1am 4am and 6:30am this morning (Sunday) and cannot get a speed of more the 470kbps !!!

if I had tried this 10 days ago I would be getting results well over 1800+ kbps

Does anybpdy know what could be wrong?

Dave
N/A

Hi Dave,

It looks as though there is definately a bit of a problem there. The harder part is trying to establish the point or source of the problem.

I do not know if you use a router or a USB modem, however the easiest way to tell whether or not you have been put on the MaxDSL service is to look at the upstream sync. If your on the normal 2Mb service then this should be about 278 or so, if your on the new MaxDSL then this should be 488 or so.

Now to resolve the problem you need to do some of the work yourself unfortunately. Yes you could bypass this but you could also stand a chance of getting a bill from openreach if it transpires to be your equipment.

So to start you will need to swap and try a different router / modem, a different filter, testing using the master test socket ( remove the small rectangular faceplate on the master socket to reveal a test socket ).
If using extension cables these will also need to be swapped out.
You will need to do a full virus scan, adware scan, spyware scan etc on your computer to rule out as this being a possible cause.

Then you can go to the help and support area and raise a question about your connection making sure you select the options for a connection fault.
You will be asked to fill out questions at some point and by doing these at the beginning you save yourself a lot of time when it comes to response time.

Ultimately BT could rule that because your getting 70kbps more than the problem treshhold your line is working well...but I cannot see this as being over likely.

Regards,
N/A

Cheers Tom for taking the time to reply to my message and the great advice

I will start looking at my router settings etc. and see if I can see if there is anything a miss

once again thanks for your help

Dave
N/A

Could be a stuck BT BRAS profile...
I had a 'glitch' on 24th June that took me down to 500 kb/s, although after re-sync'ing on the same day I have been syncing above 3 Mb/s ever since.
My data speed finally reverted from 500 kb/s to 2.8 Mb/s on Friday or Saturday - so about 3 weeks, rather than the supposed 3 days.

It's worth checking the 'stable-rate', as the first time this happened to me, this dropped to 500 kb/s. In the latest case it seems to have been an issue at the BT end, rather than PN...
James
Grafter

It's not a BRAS problem.

BRAS is set to 2848kbps.
James
Grafter

Worth noting that the latest change to BRAS was:

16/07/2006 09:52:52
N/A

Interesting, ever since that time, my download rate dropped to 500kbps, but still synching at 3.5Mbps

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

Well turned pc on this morning and ran another test and it was back to normal yippeeeeeeee :-) so don't know what was wrong but seems ok now

Thanks to everybody who took the time to help me

Cheers

Dave