cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer use Terminal Services

N/A

As part of my job, I occasionally need to terminal services to my work machine to carry out work without the need to travel there at ungodly hours.

I can no longer do this (having had no problem for the last 3 years or so).

I raised a ticket and was told it was the Ellacoyas by Plusnet Support Team. I have asked if this is a problem, and being worked on, or a permanent change - but have waited several days without a response.
Is anyone else experiencing this ?

The thing is, a month a go, I paid up for a years subscription to plusnet, and now have got this problem, which if plusnet will do nothing about, I will have to leave. Do I stand any chance of getting some of my money back ?
13 REPLIES
N/A

There have been a number of people reporting the same, its especially worse where you have it running on a non-standard port.

I was told a service announcement update would be posted a few days ago when I questioned why we hadn't seen an update on the 17th as the service page states. Still not heard anything though.
N/A

Thanks for the reply. Plusnet have finally replied and said the time to fix this problem is: ASAP

Brilliant !

I do go in on a non standard port too - I will try and change it - thanks.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It would appear that the Ellacoyas cannot tell the difference between encrypted P2P traffic and encrypted anything else (well I haven't heard anything on the contrary) - therefore I guess your problems started when the update was applied a few weeks back.

Seems that encrypted anything is on a low priority and has to be manually moved into higher priority for anything which requires it. Ludicrous really. This would explain why the performance is poor on a non-standard port.

Doesn't really help your situation I know Sad

Either complain a lot (which as the past has shown, is a way of getting your contract terminated early) or try and see if they will fiddle with the profile to allow the traffic through.
N/A

Or request your MAC...
N/A

Either complain a lot (which as the past has shown, is a way of getting your contract terminated early)

ReallyHuh
N/A

Thanks for all the advice.

Complain sounds like a plan. I'll do that Smiley
N/A

Don't complain too much though, if you become a nuisance (as PN call it) they could terminate your contract and tell you to go elsewhere. It's happened before and can happen again.

I don't usually complain much, but this encrypted traffic shaping is really getting on my tits! I remote desktop to work, and copy files to/from work via an encrypted connection, and its worse than a dialup modem at times Evil
N/A

Abusing the ticket system helps nobody and detracts the team away from real issues. Not saying you would, just sound advice.
N/A

Just had a chat with Ian Wild about this and he told me port 3389 is open for Terminal Services and so is port 10000 - I switched to 10000 and everything is running fine again.

So non standard ports seems like a non starter, unless it is port 10000

HTH

Formidable
N/A

Great, so those of us who have been given a specific IP address and port number by there works IT dept get screwed? Excellent.

I'm glad I submitted my MAC request.
ceridwen
Grafter

Yep - the "clever" new Elloyaca algorithm that is being bandied about in press releases appears to be:

is it a known port for encrypted traffic (e.g. 22, 443 etc.)?
if no, is the traffic encrypted?
if yes, throttle!

Some of us joined PN as they didn't block any ports (apart from NetBIOS) so we didn't need to worry about using non-standard ports or software/systems which were unusual etc.

PN's new throttle encryped traffic by default regime effectively blocks all non-standard ports for anything encrypted.

I personally regard that as a major change in the agreement to my detriment if they don't fix it (or remove it) soon.

Matthew
N/A

So, how long before people start using port 443, 3389 and 10000 for bittorrent traffic, bypassing the throttling and returning service to exactly the same incredibly slow service we had before the software update?

Then again, judging from last night, it has already happened!
ceridwen
Grafter

As I've said in the past you can't use inspection style traffic management to manage encrypted traffic (almost by definition). You can detect it is encrypted (although even that is not guaranteed if you aren't using standard SSL) but that is about it.

What you can do is longer term traffic monitoring - e.g. detect a socket that has been open for hours with a constant high throughput and perhaps begin slowing down those (and that applies regardless of whether it is encrypted or not). I'm not sure if the elloyacas are clever enough to do that, though.

Matthew