cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i run a server from home?

N/A

For my MCSA studies would it be within Plusnet's rules and reg's for me to host a server? I wouldn't really need another IP but could place it in DMZ.
It wouldn't really have much access other than for my own studies...
19 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Yes, its possible to run a server from your home connection. Though depending on the type of server then you would have to ensure that it is properly secured, to ensure that someone else doesn't use it without your knowledge.
N/A

I was thinking of using 2k3 which is availible on 180 day trial for study purposes. Cheesy
N/A

DMZ

if you are using a domestic router with NAT i would advise against putting in in the DMZ as it will open that box fully to the internet.

i would suggest setting up PAT for the ports you need 80 25 etc....and pointing those to the internal private ip address of the server.
N/A

Wouldn't you have to be on some kind of super connection what with Plusnet's usage policies?

Running a server with 30GB peak usage per month isn't going to go far. Soon you'll find the server is useless if it can't cuck out the data fast enough.
N/A

@daveshillitoe - Try reading the first post again

For my MCSA studies

Hes using it for study purposes not for running a full blow site.
2ndly Upload on adsl is 256Kbit currently. thats not going to rack up that much bandwith.

So Plusnets usage policy isnt going to be causing him any grief assuming the rest of his monthly usage isnt that high.

At most for study purposes ur talking a 1GB over the period of a month. and that would be classed as heavy usage for study purposes i would say.

-------
@fourwheels

Dont set NAT
Open ports:
80: Apache or ISS
21: FTP

For Web Services. if u dont need external ftp u can get away with just port 80.
N/A

Get yourself over to M$ and signup for their TechNet Plus subscription.

Cant rememeber how much it is (because my employer pays Wink ) but with Plus you get unlimited time trials of ALL M$ as part of the package.

Currently have Win2K3 server with a whole stack load of other apps installed and running at home for free! (for long term evals OK Billy Gates.....just in case you are on the forums..... Wink )
Community Veteran

its $799 or £457.40! Lucky you Bob!

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abouttn/subscriptions/default.mspx

this was my 600th Post!!!!
N/A

its $799 or £457.40! Lucky you Bob!

this was my 600th Post!!!!

But when you consider the cost of Winblows XP (£200 if not OEM) then it represents very good value for those who are either studying or looking to setup a little test rig for experimenting.... [REMOVED] :lol:

and this was my 183rd post...rofl

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs): Inappropriate posting.]
N/A

Just had a PM from a mod regarding the above censored post.

I would think that the use of the smiley would indicate that the subject contained within the line of censored text was mean in jest and should not be taken literally.

Is it necessary to have a senseofhumordectomy to become a mod??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please note the gratuitous use of smiley faces indicating that the above is also meant lightheartedly......

Badoom-Tish!
lank111
Grafter

Hi, i usd to run a win 2k3 and i used NPAT for my router, And then set up port forwardings to the server, All worked ok and the two workstations are still secure!, the server on the otherhand had its security broken a few times! nothing a good firewall can't help fix!

Remember a Software firewall can be cracked!
a hardware firewall cannot!
N/A

Remember a Software firewall can be cracked!
a hardware firewall cannot!

Hardware firewalls can be cracked though.

They still rely on software (albeit on Flash ROM) to handle traffic shaping, port forwarding, etc etc but they can still be cracked/hacked unless you keep a firm eye on whats going on and dont allow access to the interface from the outside world.

I was recently asked by a client to perform a penetration test on their small network for insurance purposes and within 8 hours I had full access to their Terminal Server (also their primary AD server) with domain admin rights. It was quite amusing watching their directors glare at their IT staff who had told them that the network was tight as a drum and that they were confident it would take someone with a lot of hacking experience several days to "back door" it.

And NO....you cant have their IP addresses!!! :lol:
lank111
Grafter

yeah but its harder to crack a hardware based firewall then a software based firewall!

do you wanna do a penatration test on my network :p
As i'm about the rip it apart and build it again from scrach with new WiFi equipment, jus wondered if my security was good or poor
N/A

Of course I'd be willing but it'll cost ya!!! :lol:

And Wifi......mmmm the possibilities if that isnt secured properly.

removed and removed are probably the only tools you need to crack a wifi net (along with a devious mind and some common sense)
N/A

Guys. I cannot believe that we are discussing hacking on this forum.

I reckon this has gone far enough and its time it stopped.

I have removed the references to the tools you have mentioned bob. You should know better. Wink