cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone plese explain...

manero
Grafter

...what all this LLU stuff is all about.? I haven't a clue. Cheers.
13 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

LLU is basically where BT allow other companies to install equipment in the telephone exchange and offer their own services. In the case of most companies this means offering ADSL connections.

What we've recently announced is that we're going to be using one of these LLU providers to offer some of our connections, and where available the higher speeds.
N/A

Some info here, here and here from the Usergroup. there's also a number of threads on these fourms discussing the pros and cons of the move and how PlusNet have (mis)handled it.
N/A

LLU == Local Loop Unbundling.

By which they mean that other companies are allowed access to your local exchange to install equipment to provide telecomes services (either 'full' unbundling in which your voice and data line become provided by someone other than BT, or 'part' where one but not the other (usually data) is provided by a 3rd party).
vic_newey
Grafter

you never heard of google ?
manero
Grafter

Cheers for that everyone. Forgive my naievity, but wouldn't it now be cheaper just to switch to Tiscali? And what about the contention ratio stuff I half understood when joining PlusNet? Will that all go to the wall with the LLU business?

Thanks.
manero
Grafter

thanks for that - very helpful. you never heard of chronic dyslexia?
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Bah, Google is for newbies :lol: ........ try Exalead instead Wink (you can google for it's URL :lol::lol::lolSmiley
vic_newey
Grafter

Re: .

thanks for that - very helpful. you never heard of chronic dyslexia?

no offence intended but your post above gives no clue that you have dyslexia
N/A

Just tried LLU in google - first result which isn't an advert is to the wikipedia article on local loop unbundling.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And what about the contention ratio stuff I half understood when joining PlusNet? Will that all go to the wall with the LLU business?

That went to the wall on Plusnet many, many months ago. They tried to pretend it still applied but the figures were absolute nonsense - so many special factors applied to get the result they wanted it wasn't true.

Eventually they admitted that the amount of central capacity they have is a purely economic decision.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

And why would using Google be an issue if you have dyslexia?

You can read on this site from what we've seen.
vic_newey
Grafter

Bah, Google is for newbies :lol: ........ try Exalead instead Wink (you can google for it's URL :lol::lol::lolSmiley

you can't beat google, you seen how it works, lol
clickie
http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html
N/A

Better than most firms which work off the power of bull****.