Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help?

PortyAL
Dabbler

Can anyone help?

Hi

Like quite a few people here I have been having speed problems. The best I can get is 990kbps. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting, and rebooting my router several times. What confuses me (not being a "techie") is that my connection settings page in plusnet says my max speed is 1mbps. My router is connected at 3776kbps and BT say that the max for my line is 4mbps. Up until recently I was getting speeds in excess 2.5mbps which I was happy with. Now I can't get over 1mbps. Is this related to the 1mbps quoted in the connection settings page? If so would it have decreased?

I have included various screen shots below.

I'd appreciate any advice any one might have.

Thanks

AL
3 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Can anyone help?

You're on Max and that adjusts your speed repeatedly to what it calculates the line can take.

Looks as though you had some blip on the line that caused it to reset a lower speed (or perhaps rebooted the router several times in succession, which has the same effect).

Reconnect once a day only, and it should be back up within a few days.
There is nothing Pn can do to intervene in this process.
PortyAL
Dabbler

Can anyone help?

Thanks for that! Expected speed has now increased to 3000kbps and speed tests are showing over 2mbps. I'll try again tomorrow to see if there's any more improvement!

AL
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Can anyone help?

Hi,

It's likely that at some point in the last 3-5 days the line resync'd at a lower rate than normal for some reason. The way Max works is that if the sync rate decreases, unless it's a one off in a 14 day period and short in duration the throughput speed is also dropped. However if the sync rate increases it needs to remain stable for 3-5 days before the throughput rate goes back up.

Looks like the throughput has now gone back up, speeds will probably be a little higher off peak.