cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help with webmail?

chrisco
Grafter

I am a new customer to PN & at first I got an audible alarm every time I received a new mail. (Also a pop up I think?) Now I get nothing. I have checked the setting by selecting preferences then account preferences & in the inbox refresh rate there is a dropdown menu & you can opt to disable the sound, this is on. I have checked speaker/sound card/ volume & all are okay. The support team are at a loss as to what is the problem, any ideas folks as although it's not the end of the world I do find the feature very useful & would appreciate any ideas. Maybe there is a setting I am not familiar with, as I said I'm a Newby.

Yours hopefully, Christine Cole Sad
9 REPLIES
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Just an idea, but do you have to use webmail? You could collect your PlusNet and any other emails much more easily using Outlook Express and you will then get a notification on your taskbar when new mail received.
Community Veteran

Thunderbird is much better than OE.
LiamM
Grafter

In my opinion, Thunderbird cannot beat Outlook 2003.
Community Veteran

That's because it's not meant to -yet! Thunderbird is a mail client outlook is a personal information manager thingy! At the moment thunderbird is pitched in competion with OE not outlook! Shocked
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Thunderbird is much better than OE.

Agreed !!!!!

Thunderbird will also collect email from all your ISPs
chrisco
Grafter

Thanks folks, thought Thunderbird was a motorbike/car/kids programme! :?

Sorry but that doesn't mean much to me, I want to give Outlook a whirl where do I go on the site to set this up, having just spent best part of a hour on the phone to HP(with success I'm pleased to say) 'cause my printer decided to go belly up & can't face trawling around & getting no where - wouldn't mind someone expanding on Thunderbird if you have time a I'm willing to learn.

Oh yes, why is there no sound on my emails!! :| :?:
Community Veteran

Thunderbird is a program like outlook express to get your e-mails. It is a doddle to setup and use. Features excellent spam filter and a feature to read rss feeds if you use them (handy for service status). It's completley free and open source.

o.k. to get outlook you will need to pay money to Micro$oft not sure how much of hand but is quite expensive. To get thunderbird click this link: http://download.mozilla.org/?product=thunderbird-1.0.2&os=win〈=en-US setup is a doddle post back once it is installed and i will explain how to set up your e-mail accounts in it. More info on thunderbird can be found at: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

As for mail sound - don't know you haven't muted your volume - I know it sounds think but the things people never check are the obvious ones!
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi there,

I have never used webmail from a PC with speakers TBH. If I have I certainly haven't noticed the mail notification sound although I am aware there is an option.

I will try this when I get home and see if I do get the notification sounds.

It could be browser related. Perhaps the OP could try another browser? How about <shameless mozilla plug>Firefox.</shameless Mozilla plug> Wink

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

Is this thread turning into who can suggest the best e-mail/web software? :lol:

Currently using firefox 1.04