cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone explain "Gaming" & "Peer to pe

N/A

According to the usage meter, I've used a sizable chunk of "Gaming" traffic, and 5.01GB of Peer to Peer traffic, despite the fact I use neither. I can put the gaming traffic down to background noise, as the usage meter goes back to the 11th May as it's only 4.57MB, but 5.01GB certainly sounds like a lot for something I've not used.

Could someone explain in more detail exactly what is classified as "Gaming" or "Peer to peer" traffic? Ie. "We treat all data on ports blah bloop and foo as peer-to-peer traffic and poop google and flop as Gaming".

Also, I received an email on the 8th of this month saying "Your account billing has been successful.", however, my usage meter goes back to the 11th of May and says I've used 8.5GB of peak-time traffic. Surely this should go from the 8th of this month?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Hmmm, over 24 hours and not even a simple explanation or "we are looking into it" kind of response?
N/A

If you have a wireless router keep an eye on the DHCP clients that attach.

If you don't then they've probably messed up, seems to be what happens here...
Mand
Grafter

Hi

I have added your details to a current open problem regarding your usage not being reset, which our development team are working to resolve at the moment. A resolution is expected today.

As for the usage, do you use a wireless router? If so is it secure? Have you checked for viruses? Does your router provide usage stats?
N/A

Yes, I use a wireless router, but I don't broadcast the SSID, and use a 128-bit key for encryption, so I'm assuming it's secure. If I don't use any internet access by ensuring that the browser/email etc is closed down, then I see that the usage statistics on the router increases very rarely, which I assume to be background traffic. The DHCP table only contains my own machines.

I use AVG anti-virus, and this is updated daily on a schedule. I also use a bandwidth meter, which only seems to register activity when I start using the 'net for normal use (eg. email, web, ftp...)

So I'm assuming the traffic is from another program that isn't P2P, but possibly uses the same ports?

Does the detection of service use the port number, or a packet inspection based method? I'm thinking I regularly connect to other PC's over ports 3389, 4144 and 50000 for remote management purposes.
JonathanW
Grafter

When it comes to the protocol identification, this is done on a mixture of deep packet inspection and other information about the packet and data flow.

Though due to the large number of applications out there some of them do get incorrectly flagged as a different type of traffic. Moving forwards, we're working with Ellacoya to get as many correct traffic signatures as possible, to reduce the chance of incorrect identification.
FooAtari
Grafter

It still think thats a bit funny squidgey

Do you use any kind of file sharing programs?

iTunes, emule, Limewire anything to download any data apart from a web browser?

I would monitor your router using PRTG or something if you can.
N/A

Might also be worth noting some services one may not immidiately suspect are peer to peer are, such as SkyByBroadband and similar forms of downloading systems for large files at times.
N/A

PRTG? Do you mean http://www.paessler.com/prtg (from a quick Google search)?

I don't use any file sharing programs that I know of - most of my downloads come from Usenet or from direct web links from the likes of Tucows and such.
FooAtari
Grafter

Yeah that's the one. It's pretty simple to use (as long as your router supports SNMP an its enabled), can compare to what plus have and also see if there is anything that is using your connection that you are not aware of.

Is it possible that Plus is confusing your Usenet useage as P2P?