cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone HELP me ? (Torrents)

N/A

Hi , well few days ago I posted thread about my poor emule edonkey download , I get information that there is something wrong and Plusnet trying to improve service. I was really happy with Torrents as a main source of my downloads. BUT about week maybe 1.5 week I start to have problems even with torrents ...

Http transfers are fine but Sometimes I get "random" dissconection (synch led doesnt go off) especially when I try to run ANY p2p software. My problem Is that few days ago my downloads on torrent start to "jump" from zero to some values then back again to 0. and last 2 days my download speed is 0. I'am not a noob, all settings are ok, ports , forwarding etc is fine. Everything was ok since it started few days ago. I connected another PC to ADSL and was exactly the same. My ADSL router is Voyager 205 ( ehhh :? ) I restarted modem , even made new windows instalation , no luck. All torrents I have on my ldownload list have a lot of Seeders. I dont get it , whats going on. I left my PC running 72 hours and guess how much data downloaded by torrent client ? 0!

Its about 1 month I'am with PlusNet (friend recommend me that...) and Iam already mad ... :twisted: :twisted: Evil Evil :twisted: :twisted: Evil Evil Is there anyone who have similiar problems ?
53 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Hi
I assume you're not on the Plus package with its P2P problems.

Just to rule out the not enough seeders thing, what do you get with the torrent on the first post here?

If you're sure about your setup and you get nothing on that torrent either, I'd suspect your router is not very well. Try reloading the firmware for it, or see if you can try a different one.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Do you use Azureus by any chance?

I have a Voyager 205 at home and if I use the latest version of azureus it breaks my connection, eveything just grinds to a halt until I quit azueus. An older version however (2.2.0.2) works absolutely fine and I get more than respectible speeds from it.
N/A

to gpattison Iam on Premier package 2mb/s

to bbrown
I tryed all popular applications for torrents, yes I used Azureus as well , but I tryed Bitlord and bitcomet and same results. I used bitlord before and all was fine ,I
tryed different torrent software when I started to have download speed = 0. Same happens with emule , when i start it it just break my connection. I knew that there are problems with emule but users have ANY download speeds even slow, I dont have ANY on emule and on Torrent Sad . And my usage statistics shows 3 Gb peak , and 30 Gb off peak. How can I even reach 100 GB of usage ...

I will try to change firmware in my modem maybe that helps, but all was ok few days ago.

BTW: Is that normal that voyager 205 adsl modem router is hot when is running 24/7 ?
Alecto
Grafter

Yes, routers tend to run hot as there's no cooling fan. This is OK, but don't put anything on top of it to prevent the heat escaping.

Sounds odd the same thing happening with different clients. Are the line stats from your router OK, or are your SNR and attenuation a bit borderline for 2Mb?
If your line's OK, I'd try and borrow a different router.
kitz
Rising Star

Ben and goomy.

Try this tweak here ... it works on the SAR110 and the Voyager 205, both of which have a ridiculously low default max ip sessions.

I not saying it will be the answer.. but since I first wrote the page over 2 years ago, its helped an awful lot of users with a SAR110 or Voyager 205.. and Ive found that no 3) is the one that usually works.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/tute/errors.htm

Yep the V205 does run a bit warm, but give space to have a decent air flow around it and it should be fine.
N/A

Thanks for that tweak kittz , iam gonna check that later when I back home.

ehhh ,
N/A

To gpattison

Just to rule out the not enough seeders thing, what do you get with the torrent on the first post here here

I made test with this torrent and average speed was about 25 kB/s jumps from zero to 25 and back to zero again and again ... Sad.

TO kittz I changed only option 3 in yout tutorial , but I cant find any options from point 1 and 2 in my ADSL menu. Where can I find those options from your tutorial? http://www.kitz.co.uk/tute/errors.htm

thx for your help
N/A

I made test with torrent of Knoppix linux distribution, my download statistics looks like this:

Download just jumps from zero to some value and back again to zero all the time Sad

ehhhh I'm just 1 month with PlusNet... and have feeling that its to long ... Before I joined I was told by lady in customer support that if I choose Premier package I wont have any problems with P2P downloads, but I cant even use my favourite p2p software like emule (download speed = 0) ...
N/A

Azureus, as said - downgrade to 2.2.0.2. Try changing port in your client, to something very high and random. Change the port as often as once a week. Should make throttling a biy harder. Working on high port I sustained over 140kb/s on knopix test for about an hour.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The port that you use won't affect any management we put in place, as the Ellacoyas can tell what type of traffic something is regardless of what port it is on.

What it will help with is that some trackers (particually private ones) will not let anyone connect using the default ports.

The most important thing to do with Bittorrent is to forward whatever port you use from your router to your PC, otherwise you won't get a good speed at all.
N/A

Oh, there you go - official line. No matter what you do you won't be able to escape the Ellacoyators. You P2P won't ever improve. Cheesy
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Apart from the fact that for the first 20GB after your billing date p2p is passed through the ellacoyas with no delay at all which will give better speeds than before.
N/A

But just how is that better than no Ellacoyators at all?

You know, it's a bit like you bought car on finance and year later someone came around clamped you car and told you you can drive to work for the first 20 miles and then they would let you go only if they didn't use your car.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

With no ellacoyas all the traffic will be fighting for supremecy over our network and it would be one hughe mess. Because of the way they work P2P and Usenet will dominate and all the thousands of customers trying to use web, email, VoIP or gaming will just not be able to do it. We can't allow the actions of a few users to have such a severe affect on the rest of our customers services.