cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I receive and send POP3/SMTP emails from another ISP?

N/A

At the moment, I only send/receive emails on PlusNet when I'm dialled direct, although I do occasionally look at emails using WebMail.

However, I'll be out of the country for a while and will be using a different ISP, and I wanted to check that I can still use email in the same way as I know that some providers don't permit this.

The support pages explain that this is so if I'm a "services customer", but I haven't a clue what this is. I'm a "Connect Lite user".
10 REPLIES
N/A

You can definitley use webmail from any computer with an internet connection (even if it's not plusnet). If you want to send / receive emails using outlook express, etc - you can do this (but you will need to setup the mail client).
Community Veteran

I dont think you can send mail using PlusNet's servers from another ISP but you can recieve your mail this way.

If you are abroad and can access the internet then you can always log on to your account and use webmail to check your incoming mail and send replies.
N/A

I recieve e-mails from my old freeserve account all the time. But i cant send any. (IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS)

I hope that helps.
N/A

Hi,

Yes, you can collect mail from or POP3 server from anywhere in the world. However in order to send mail using our SMTP server you do need to be dialled in directly to our network. If you're connecting via another ISP they should have their own SMTP server for you to use.
N/A

You probably want ASMTP. Try doing a search on all the PlusNet forums for ASMTP, (this currently shows 5 threads). I think your answers are all in there.

Regards

Tony Brown
N/A

Thanks for the responses ... particularly the very depressing one from PlusNet :-(

Because of my location when I'm away, I am very restricted as far as ISPs are concerned, and the only one I can use will not permit me to send emails with a sender/replyto address other than theirs, which for my specific needs is no good.

Unfortunately, it seems that PlusNet doesn't yet offer Authenticated SMTP, so it looks as though I'm going to be very restricted in what I can do while I'm away.
N/A

I would use the third party offering like that from ASMTP.com. I also feel a bit aggrieved at having to pay for something I would have hoped for in a premium ISP product. I note that the prices for this service have gone up considerably since I bought from them, now at £9/month, or £40/year.

I suspect there are others out there offering the same service.

Tony Brown
N/A

You can get hosting with hosting providers at pretty cheap rates that give you this feature.

ASMTP is being looked into as a feature for the future, however, there are more important changes and features to be developed in the time being.

While you may think the reply from +Net is a little on the disapointing side, I am yet to see a provider in the UK that offers ASMTP as standard.
N/A

Thanks for the responses ... particularly the very depressing one from PlusNet :-(

Because of my location when I'm away, I am very restricted as far as ISPs are concerned, and the only one I can use will not permit me to send emails with a sender/replyto address other than theirs, which for my specific needs is no good.

Unfortunately, it seems that PlusNet doesn't yet offer Authenticated SMTP, so it looks as though I'm going to be very restricted in what I can do while I'm away.

Just use the plusnet webmail to send and receive your email, that way it doesn't matter what ISP your using.
N/A

Webmail isn't an option because it doesn't fulfill the specific requirement of allowing me to change the from/replyto address (it used to, but not any more). This is very important for my email management.