cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I host my own website at home?

Community Veteran

Yes this is not a problem. Follow the guide on domains in the Tutorials forum for help with the necessary configuration. Don't forget that hosting a website on your computer is a potential security risk if not handled properly and be sure to apply the necessary OS / software patches when they become available.

Chris
15 REPLIES
N/A

It's a simple question, but I can't seem to find anything in the forums or terms and conditions which tells me. Basically, I already have a couple of domains and I want to setup a machine at home to host them. With my ADSL account, is this allowed?

They are unlikely to be high-traffic websites so I'd rather not shell out for a hosting solution if I don't need to. They are also both non-business sites, so I don't see any problems there.

So, can I host my own website at home?

Thanks,
N/A

Yes this is not a problem. Follow the guide on domains in the Tutorials forum for help with the necessary configuration.

I shall do that. However, are there any plain language terms and conditions which outline that this is explicitly allowed? I'm not saying you're lying; I'd just like some official confirmation.
Community Veteran

No there is nothing in the T+Cs that says it is allowed, however do a search though the forums and you will see recomendations from support in cases where people should run thier own mailserver. From experience alot of people run web servers and it has never been a cause for concern (unless they are running insecure servers).

If you do want offical confirmation in your case then raise through Contact Us and you will have accountable reference for the future.
N/A

If you do want offical confirmation in your case then raise through Contact Us and you will have accountable reference for the future.

FYI, I did this last night, and they said it was fine. They also noted that it would reduce my downstream bandwidth but I'm fine with that as it shouldn't be a large site.

Ta,
Lorian
Grafter

Assuming you have a paid account, why not use your free web space instead?

Jc.
N/A

Assuming you have a paid account, why not use your free web space instead?

Well, I would, but I have two existing domains which I want to host.
csogilvie
Grafter

I believe you can host up to 3 domains off your plus.net webspace (certainly on ADSL)
N/A

Ah, but surely I have to move the domains to plus.net? I don't want to do that.
N/A

No you don't.

You ask your existing provider to set the NS records to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net and not to change the IPSTAG

After this is done, raise a link:contact us ticket and request that they tranfer a domain without the IPSTAG.

You can then control the domain via the domain control pannel as usual, but your are billed by sombody else.
N/A

[discussion on what I have to do to manage domains skipped]

What you describe is tantamount to moving domain as far as I'm concerned. I'd just be switching from one web-based hosting interface to another, for no benefit. In fact I'd end up having to use two.
N/A

Phillip,

Can I do this from a Business Free account? Would I be charged a fee if it is possible? If not, what should I change the account to, just to make this work?

Tony Brown
N/A

All the details on the number of domains a account will receive free, as part of an offer (like the £1/month option on Home accounts), the number that can be hosted without any administration or hosting charges and the maximum number possible, is available on THIS page.

The Biz free account can host 2 domains, however, at a cost of £25+vat per domain.

It doesn't clarify if this is a yearly charge or not on that page, however, I would assume it is.
N/A

Thanks for the clarification Phillip, I wasn't sure if what you were suggesting actually counted as Web Hosting.
Community Veteran

Yes the £25+vat is a yearly charge.

Chris