cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I hide my username?

N/A

Can I hide my username?

When I connected to a friends server the other day, he told me that my name appeared in his server log.

So I went on to ShieldsUp! to see what info my connection was giving up and lo and behold, ShieldsUp! not only showed my IP (which I'd expect) but also username.plus.com

Surely this is a bit dodgy? I certainly don't always want my real name to be so easily findable on the web.

Is there any way to hide it? Even changing it to ipaddress.plus.com would be preferable. If I had known this was going to happen I would have used a different name for my account.
6 REPLIES
carrot63
Grafter

Can I hide my username?

If you raise a support ticket, you can have this changed to your_ip.plus.com or a registered domain name if you have one.

Somewhere buried in the support section there is a page about this.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Can I hide my username?

Yep, if you have a static IP the reverse DNS (as is commonily used) will reveal your username. I've since downgraded from Premier to Plus, so this now having a dynamic IP doesn't reveal my username anymore.

I am sure PlusNet will change their name servers to not reveal this if requested.

You can use a site such as www.dnsstuff.com, and type your IP into the 'Reverse DNS lookup' box to see what it is reporting.
Alecto
Grafter

Can I hide my username?

As insightphotos says. Raise a ticket.
N/A

Can I hide my username?

Thanks everyone.

Ticket raised.
N/A

Can I hide my username?

Roll on the wait :lol:
James
Grafter

Can I hide my username?

It's been actioned and will take 24-72 hours to be reflected across the globe.