cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I go back to 2 MB ADSL?

N/A

Is it possible to get rid of MaxDSL? I had a much better all round service when I was on 2 MB.
15 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

We can move you back in extreme cases, however you appear to have a pretty good speed profile allocated and we should be able to sort out connection problems with a few quick changes.

If you want to try this first and look at the change back to fixed rate as a last resort please raise a fault as normal and I'll fire it off to BT for you.
N/A

Well I did a BT speedtest Wednesday and this was my result:

IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 120 kbps

I connected this morning and AccessRunner reports that I'm connected at 160 kps. Normally I have connected at between 6.5 and 7.6 mbps.

This just seems to be one more problem since I went over to MaxDSL. I've had usenet problems, connecting problems, regular desyncs, etc. Just seems to be one thing after another.

I'll have to raise a ticket but being honest I'm not sure if my internal wiring is the best. I've swopped over microfilters but testing from the main socket is not an easy option ATM.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Routers are generally better than PCI or USB modems. If using the master socket is not an option for you existing modem, you could get a wireless router which you sit by the master socket.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Actually I do intend getting a wireless set up in the new year as I want to set up a network. My PCI modem has been OK speed wise up until the last few days though.
Mand
Grafter

Hi

The problem with that is BT require a master socket test before they will accept a fault, this is because they only guarantee that the service will work from the master socket. Frustrating indeed, but a requirement of the current faults process.

In terms of moving you back, if you have a line fault at present, it is likely that a 2MB fixed rate order will be rejected by BT as your line will not meet the stricter criteria for a 2MB connection until it is fixed.

I would suggest raising a fault and see what our testing highlights.
N/A

I thought that might be the case. I'm going to run a new cable direct from my master and disconnect everything else to run a test.

Thanks.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Hi

The problem with that is BT require a master socket test before they will accept a fault, this is because they only guarantee that the service will work from the master socket.

Hi
Sorry to butt in on this tread,but could you define
*master socket* for me. :?

Does it refer to the type often mentioned on the forums ie
where you can remove part of the face plate ??.

If so how does one go on if you have a fault but don't have
one of these new type master socket just inside the house.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree.
:!:
Community Veteran

The master socket is the one that the ouside phone line comes to first. Any other sockets that you have are then wired off that one for your extensions.

You can identify it by opening it up. The master socket will have a capacitor and resistor in it that are wired across the line for BT testing purposes and all others wont have this capacitor and resistor.

In addition the later Master sockets will have a split front. The bottom half can be removed by undoing two screws revealing another socket within it.

This inner socket is most useful for testing as by removing the face plate and connecting into this socket you are in effect removing any other internal wires from the system.
Snarf
Grafter

Along these lines, I had a pretty stable connection under 1Mb broadband, now my line's been increased to 1.5Mb on MaxDSL, and I seem to get intermittent drops - see http://www.l8nc.com/graph.php?jid=999c9567e709f33ecb14b2fe2bba45ae&sid=&day=yesterday

(I've also saved a JPEG once this runs out). Seems at least once or twice every few hours the line drops. I've had a look for the master socket to test it from there but none of the internal sockets have a separate socket. I'm curious as to whether there is actually a problem with the connection, or whether I'm just on the limit and therefore it's just a poor line.
Community Veteran

AS it states in the sticky just produced by James. Max is much more sensitive to line conditions and what may have been fairly stable at 1 Mb may have problems with the increase to 1.5 Mb
Snarf
Grafter

Strangely though, my stable rate is set by PN at 1500, but is set by BT at 2000kbps and a BT speed test says I'm actually getting 1471kbps. My current connection speed is

DOWN 2112Kb/s
UP 444Kb/s

The speed seems pretty steady apart from those disconnects, which probably means that the profile will stay the same (as it always reconnects at the same speed). So many numbers I'm a bit confused Smiley
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

The master socket is the one that the ouside phone line comes to first. Any other sockets that you have are then wired off that one for your extensions.

Thanks for that john,how to identify is handy as just inside my door is a BT connector block (like a electrical chocolate block connector) if you know what I mean ??.
Little cheap and nasty box,both my sockets are connected to that,one goes into living room for phone-other goes upstairs to other phone/computer.

John.the other day if you recall I said in a thread that was posted by another person with the same problem that I did not receive e-mail when any posts of mine were replied to.

You asked me to PM with e-mail address to check and set up
which you did,but still did not get notified that you had answered my query above,less e-mail playing up again.
Thanks
Community Veteran

Im not geting notifications either of replies to PMs so something is amiss wirh the system.
Community Veteran

The email issue is already known - see http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/view.php?id=232

A NTE5 master socket looks like this:

Sounds like you have one of these (sorry, could not find a smaller image) which also comes in green, white and light tan colours as well as dark brown and also as a 4 connector block:

See http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/connection_boxes.htm

This means you don't have a master socket and you need to contact BT and arrange for a master socket to be fitted saying your ADSL is not working properly and you suspect its because you don't have a master socket. They should fit one free of charge.