cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get 8Mb Broadband???

N/A

Is there a useful website which shows which exchanges have 8Mb broadband enabled or a site that shows the predicted date to have them enabled?Huh
16 REPLIES
N/A

AFAIK 8mb broadband is still being trialled by Plusnet. I think these are closed trials, only available to customers invited to participate (on a very limited number of exchanges). I believe that we can expect the service to begin being rolled out in april 2006 (although I may be wrong), and plusnet will probably make more details available around that time.
Community Veteran

It Depends on what 8Mbs broadband connection you are refering to: MaxDSL or LLU. If MaxDSL then it is BT doing the trial with approx 350 PlusNet customers invited to it so far with the expected full rollout in April 2006 (but still subject to change). If LLU, PlusNet are starting a limited trial shortly but this is limited to a few customers on a few exchanges that already have LLU equipment installed by Tiscali or Easynet. When PlusNet will have an LLU product generally available has not yet been decided.
N/A

PlusNet are starting a limited trial shortly but this is limited to a few customers on a few exchanges that already have LLU equipment installed by Tiscali or UK Online.

Peter, huh!!!

I thought it was Tiscali and Easynet. Sorry has something changed in the past couple of weeks that we are not aware of?

regards,
Community Veteran

Yes it was. Corrected. Shockedops:
N/A

Thanks for all your replies, but I am still none the wiser, from what I have read around on various sites BT are rolling out by April 2006 but I will believe that when I see it. Thought someone somewhere would have some sort of website detailling when the expected roll out date for each exchange, a bit like when DSL was origionally rolled out!!! Or something similar
N/A

Unfortunately not.

You would be more than lucky if BT themselves knew when they were bringing it out.
So far BT have put it back countless times. I can remember when it was announced. the words shortly were used but BT kept on putting back and back. And so nearly a year on and guess what, BT are still trialing.

So in short, there is nowhere you can find out when it will be rolled out in your area. Your best bet is to wait till April 2006 and then check again for any news or the new roll out date.

Sorry Sad

Regards,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Plusnet have previously said that they expect all ADSL enabled exchanges to have 8MB by April.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Replace expect with hope and you are probably closer to the truth. After all it is BT who ultimately make the decison (and delay)
Community Veteran

Peter,

As you aware, when Plusnet announced the rollout of MaxDSL was due in April and gave the impression that it would be available to all users at that time, I repeatedly questioned in the PUG forum whether this was the start of a national rollout (taking some months to complete) or whether it would be available to all users in April.

Plusnet remained adament that MaxDSL should be available on the majority of exchanges in April (anyone who might be expected to know outside of Plusnet thinks this is optomistic). It was confirmed on these forums:

Hi,

BT are currently in the process of rolling these speeds out, though this is currently on a trial basis. They're hoping to get it rolled out to the majority of exchanges by April next year.

Perhaps someone from Plusnet could confirm whether they are still expecting MaxDSL speeds to be available at the majority of exchanges by April.
Community Veteran

Just to add. Plusnet originally said that after the current trials they expected the remaining 5000 exchanges to be completed around 30th March 2006.

See last paragraph of the announcement here
N/A

Perhaps someone from PlusNet could confirm whether they are still expecting MaxDSL speeds to be available at the majority of exchanges by April.

Didn't you know, according to PlusNet it's coming soon, and as been for ages.
So soon, in fact that they felt OK about taking your money for it way back, because it was coming so soon.
Therefore, if PlusNet do know it's now not coming soon I think it most unlikely that they will tell. Especially as it seems that many exchanges will be LLU enabled before PlusNets BT based product is available, therefore tempting folk to sign up elsewhere.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The first 25 exchanges enabled in November are

Bangor
Belfast Balmoral
Belfast City
Chiswick
Connel
Dalmally
Earls Court
East Kilbride
Glasgow Cambuslang
Greengairs
Harlesden
Harrow
Helensburgh
Kensington Gardens
Kilmarnock
Langside
Llandaff
Llanishen
Lochgoilhead
Ochiltree
Radyr
Rhoose
South Kensington
St Ives
West Kensington

At the beginning of next month the following will be added

Barry
Belfast Cregagh
Belfast Knock
Bridgeton
Bristol Redcliffe
Cardiff Central
Chelsea
Fulham
Giffnock
Glasgow Western (Linfern)
Glengormley
Howland Street
Lisburn
Londonderry
Londonderry Waterside
Lords
Mayfair
Newquay
Newtownards
Penzance
Pollok
Primrose Hill
Roath
Saltash
Scotstoun
St Austell
Truro
Vauxhall

From there our BT account manager has said that they expect all enabled exchanges will be ready by April so long as the trial is a success.

For the Tiscali trial we have contacted the customers in the areas that are part of the trial (the exchanges are all in London, but I don't have a list) and they will move over to LLU around 9th January.

The Easynet trial is also due to start very shortly, and again the customers selected for the trial have been contacted. I'll see if I can get a list of the exchanges.
N/A

Dave,

Sorry for this one, but quoting what you said
From there our BT account manager has said that they expect all enabled exchanges will be ready by April so long as the trial is a success.

That to me does not sound like what was announced HERE 1st December. Quoting the following;
We expect that a further 25 exchanges will be added to the trial around 3rd January 2006. We will contact customers on the next set of trial exchanges once we confirm availability.

At the moment it isn't possible to join the trial until later in the new year without an invite in order to give priority to our existing customers on higher speed accounts.

We will be monitoring the performance of the customers on the trial to ensure that they are receiving a high quality of service.

It is expected that the rollout of DSL Max to the remaining 5000 or so exchanges will be completed around 30th March 2006. This is however a BT trial date and subject to change.

By my understanding of your post just now, the other 5000 exchanges wont be ready for April 2006Huh

Could you clarify this please.

Cheers Smiley

[EDITED 1 times in total to include more information upon seeing the link above ]
Community Veteran

I cant find the thread now

Not the announcement I linked above?