cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get 2mb with these figures?

N/A

Sorry to post this question as I'm sure it has been asked before but couldn't find the answer:

I recently moved house - did have a 2mb connection and everything was fine.

Since moving though I am only connecting at 1mb yet have the following figures:

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation 22db 5.5db
Noise Margin 31db 31db

Should I be able to get 2mb with those figures?

The BT checker says
At the moment, your telephone line is unable to support our 2Mb speed broadband package.

What does it mean by at the moment? does it mean that they may upgrade it soon?

Just trying to get a feel for the state of play really.
Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES
___oDiN__
Grafter

when.. and it is a when maxdsl comes out you may be able to, the only other hope if that ur exchange is llu enabled or due to be
N/A

Cool thanks for the info.

I guess my only hope is to move somewhere else then..... Wink
shellsong
Grafter

Pardon me, but if I read your stats correctly you should have no problem with 2Mbs if the equipment's at your exchange-- your line looks good for 8Mbs to me!
N/A

Agreed - there are people who would kill for stats as good as that.

With attenuation, less is better, and up to 43 downstream is OK for 2Mb. You're only half way to the limit - in fact, as things are logarithmic, well under half way there.

With noise margin, higher is better. AFAIK BT don't quote any specific figure, but somewhere around 10 downstream seems to be desirable for a stable connection - you're miles above that, so even if it drops a bit when the speed goes up (which is likely) still well and truly out of problem land.

I wonder if you've accidentally been incorrectly provisioned - worth raising a ticket, I would reckon.
munsy
Grafter

would not bother I tried to upgrade to 2Mb with a 40Db line attenuation only to be told that they would submit an upgrade but 2 mins later they said it had failed due to BT but do not think they even submitted it to BT.
N/A

either your line is to long for it or if youve changed areas the exchange not upgraded

At the moment, your telephone line is unable to support our 2Mb speed broadband package.
N/A

would not bother I tried to upgrade to 2Mb with a 40Db line attenuation only to be told that they would submit an upgrade but 2 mins later they said it had failed due to BT but do not think they even submitted it to BT.

It probably has been submitted to BT. What speed does the bt broadband checker come up with for your phone number? This is usually used as a (flawed) reference and they won't actually bother to check out your line properly.
munsy
Grafter

It probably has been submitted to BT. What speed does the bt broadband checker come up with for your phone number? This is usually used as a (flawed) reference and they won't actually bother to check out your line properly.

41db apparantly.