cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera multiplexer to router problem

N/A

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

My so called 'expert' has set up a camera multiplexer to our router, which has a fixed IP address.

He now tells me that I have to get Plus.net to open port 80 on 192.168.1.2

I thought this was something he should have done when he had his portable computer plugged into the router.

What do you think? Is this even possible for Plus.net, or is this something he should have done himself?

Regards
Stu.
18 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

This is something you need to do in your router configuration. We cannot do this as it is configuration local to your network.

The IP address is of a device on your network and you need to forward the port from your router to that device.

This is generally done via your router control panel.
N/A

given that that IP address is on your LAN you need to forward port 80 on your router to 192.168.1.2
N/A

The problem is that the router is independant and not attached to a computer, hence the reason why my 'expert' was supposed to come and set it up with his portable computer.

I guess he'll just have to return and fix the port forwarding at the source.

Is there no way of accessing a router remotely via userid / password and the correct software. I'm so racked off with this guy that I'd like to fix the problem myself, but I'd have to do it remotely, as I'm quite a long way away from the router.
As I know all the userid / passwords for the router is there some software I could use to gain access to the settings?

Regards
Stu.
Liam
Grafter

The router will have an IP address and usually you browse to it via a web browser.

Something like :

http://192.168.0.1
http://192.168.2.1

Or similar. What router do you have?
N/A

Pretty sure it's a Netgear router.
The static IP address is 84.**.***.***

All I get is a 'The page cannot be displayed' error message.
N/A

most netgears have an ip of 192.168.0.1 as default - put that into your browser on your PC and then put in the username/password for the router. The default is probably admin/password. Once you're done that you need to setup a port forward on port 80 to 192.168.1.2 or whatever the ip of your camera is.

One thing worth bearing in mind is that a lot of domestic routers (my old DG834GT included) don't support a loopback, and as such you will be unable to access the camera from within your LAN via the external ip address.
N/A

1. I'm trying to access a router at another location.
2. The router at the other location is attached to a camera multiplexer.
3. The router at the other location is not attached to a computer.
4. I know my own local router address.
5. I know the static IP address of the router at the other location.
6. I can't access the router at the other location from my local computer.

Make sense? Smiley :roll:
pjemmanuel
Grafter

It sounds to me like churchills2005 is not at the router site, so the loopback problem for the router isn't the issue, he wants to access the router setup remotely.

The netgear does support remote management, and you can do it through a standard web browser from anywhere should you wish to do so, although it is more secure to restrict the remote management to a smaller range of external IP addresses.

Now for the bad news. Remote management on the Netgear is turned off by default, and you will need to access it from a computer attached to the local network - local to the router that is, to turn it on. It's not a difficult task, just switch it on, enter the range of IP addresses it will respond to (or set it to 'Everyone') and finally give the port that it will respond to, the default port being 8080.

To access the remote management console, you then type the remote address into your broswer window as
http://84.**.***.***:8080

Unfortunately, as I've mentioned, this is of little use at this time, as remote management can only be enabled from the LAN side of the router, not the WAN
Liam
Grafter

Ah. Then it would be the external static IP you need to use. However, Netgear's generally require that you switch on Remote Management on a specific port when you set it up.

You'll need to be local to the network the router is on to access it and get this changed if Remote Management is not enabled.

The default port for remote management is 8080 I think. So you could try http://84.xx.xx.xx:8080 (where xx is your static IP?)
N/A

Many thanks. I thought it might be something as simple as that.
I've posted your replies on to my 'expert' so that he can setup up the remote access.

Thanks again,
Stu.
rslsys
Grafter

Expert is such a loaded term.
Ex implies you are past it, and a spurt is just a drip under pressure . . .
N/A

Turns out that we don't have a Netgear router, but a useless BT Voyager 205 (?) ADSL router and we can't find port forwarding as an option on any of the menus.

Does this sound about right? Time to ditch BT and change to Netgear with immediate effect?

regards
stu.
N/A

N/A

OK. we think we have port forwarding open and I have read with gusto all of the info on the link, but I'm unable to gain access from my computer to the router at another location.

I again know the static IP address of the other router, but I can't access it.

Should I be using some utility to access the other router and where could I download said utility from?

I'm also using Zonealarm on my computer. Would this cause a problem?

regards
Stu