cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cacheing effect on Webstats

N/A

It is beginning to look a distinct possibility. Anybody else notice or is it just one of those weeks. But my avatar should have pushed things up not down.
12 REPLIES
N/A

If caching had an effect, you would have notice an imidiate effect from the launch date, and not a gradual dip (at least not over this amount fo time).

How many hits is your avatar showing?

The caching system was setup, as so not to impact on webstats.
N/A

I had a dramatic drop in Webstats last Saturday (the 14th) which recovered slightly on Sunday but continued to be depressed Monday and Tuesday. The possibility of cacheing effect had already been brought up in the newsgroups so I wondered about it. In such a short period of time it is impossible to be sure.

REgarding my avatar I am now up to 527 for FEbruary, the increase has seemed to slow down although currently I am posting to the Forums much more than usual. But I feel that I shouldnt have brought up my avatar as it is a red herring. It is the overall figures that matter and they are distinctly down. Whether it is cacheing causing it I dont know.
N/A

The webstats are definitely not recording everything they claim to.

I added a user to a protected (htpasswd) area of my site and logged in to check it worked. It did, but the access did not show in webstats. All previous log ins are listed. The webstats are dated today and look normal.
N/A

When did you do the test? And they are dated after the tests right?

If so, then I can only sugest this is an extention of the report already open on webstats.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

The webstats are definitely not recording everything they claim to.

I added a user to a protected (htpasswd) area of my site and logged in to check it worked. It did, but the access did not show in webstats. All previous log ins are listed. The webstats are dated today and look normal.

How soon after you logged in did you check it? I have not experience with +Nets webstats because I host my sites else where, but how I run my webstats is a cronjob to run every couple of hours, which then parse the raw log files and create the webstats. If they are done similary here then it could take a little while to show in the stats.

Phil
Community Veteran

PlusNet only supply the webstats on a daily basis with the logs containing the stats for the whole of the previous day. We don't get access to the Apache logs directly i.e. access to real time info.
N/A

I was talking about the portal webstats. And yes, I did allow time for them to come through. Missing access was around 17:30 on 16 Feb (Monday), the webstats say they were generated this morning.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

Caching should not have any effect on Webstats at all, since this was something that we took into account when doing the caches. I will start running some tests on this on my own webspace however so I will see whether this has had an effect tomorrow when the next stats are generated.

If they are affecting things then I will raise a problem. Has anyone noticed whether the problems are affecting only images or only html - or maybe everything. Any info on this would be greatly appriciated.

Regards
Josh Berry
N/A

Josh, this is a user log in that's missing, plus at least one access for a .exe file. I only do a quick visual check of the webstats most days and don't count my accesses for most pages but I'm certain about this one. Similar log ins and .exe accesses from two or three weeks ago are listed.
jberry
Grafter

Right,

I tested this yesterday by accessing a number of files 50 times each - all of these from cached pages (i.e. not doing a full refresh between pages) and all of the hits have registered as normal so I am not sure what could be causing the problem.

The best thing now would probably be to wait until we remove the cache on Tuesday and then try again and see if the problems have gone.

Regards,
Community Veteran

Out of interest I have just had a look at the webstats for my domain, my homepages, and my cgi space.
All the stats on the main server for my domain and home pages look to br normal so I cant see that the cacheing has had any effect on them.

As CS are already aware the CGI stats are still dead and this is being looked into.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi John,

The webstats problem is being addressed in Internal problem 16171. I'm sure though when it's going to be resolved.