cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CS telephone waiting times.

Community Veteran

Now I hav never telephoned Customer Services at Plusnet, so cannot speak from experience, however it seems that people are waiting an extremely long time before having their call answered.

It may be just me, but times like 30 mins, or 20 mins just seem to bowl me over.

The last CS area I managed had targets of 80% of calls answered within 20 seconds, and one desk had a target of 98% in 30 seconds. These targets were never failed over a 12 month period.

I did however call First Choice the other day and had to wait 20 minutes, which I was disgusted at with it being an 0870 number (at least PN have a local rate number which is much better).

Can I ask if you have any specific targets to work to regarding call waiting times, and how many calls on average do you take in a 24 hour period?

Im just curious as I only really have my prior experience in a CS area to compare against.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I dont think they work towards answering within a set time, however agents do have targets on how long each call lasts and how many calls they take per day which does push for quantity which in turn pushes for more calls to be answered quicker. However you have to worry about the quality of support that can be provided.

Personally I wouldnt wait for more than 15 mins, which is the most i've ever waited when phoning Sky, although at other times you can get through straight away.

I had to phone Inland Revenue the other day, it took me probably an hour to even get through to thier queue (always engaged) although once I was in the queue they spoke to me within minuites.

Chris
OldDave
Grafter

If its not urgent you can raise a ticket.

I have only rung PN once in 16 months got through in about 8 mins
N/A

I am not being sarcy here but any CS initially answers the call with automated service within seconds,(is that connected to their targets) its the bit after all the button pressing thats the hassle .
Our local council thrives on saying every call is answered in a flash, then there is the dreaded wait
To be honest had to call +net CS a few times never had to wait longer then what was advised in the automated message. Alas! there are a lot worse out there in ISP world, ask any ntl or aol customers, it goes into hours and that i speak from experience. Not even gonna mention the power companies
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The waiting times that some people have seen recently are a concern for us and something we are addressing. We now have a dedicated day shift covering 8:30am - 9pm and agents dedicated to customer service and sales. Meaning our more experienced agents cover tech and faults and tickets.

The average wait time at the moment is just over 2 minutes.

We are still recruiting too...
Community Veteran

The targets in the CS area I used to manage were set around the time it took a customer from picking an option to getting through to a CS agent.

i.e. you were speaking to a human being inside 30 seconds. The call length was not as important, though anything over 15 mins would get noticed.

I agree you have to maintain quality, but I'm guessing that after anything of up to 30 minutes on hold, customers are quite infuriated by the time they get to speak to a person.
Community Veteran

Sorry Dave,

Seems you were replying at the same time a myself.

Are you allowed to tell us how many calls you receive each day? Im guessing looking at the number of people I can see in the CS area (webcams), and the average waiting time - you are running at something like 1 to 2 thousand in 24 hours?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I don't know the exact figures, but could probably find out if needed, but it's over 2,000 on an average day.
channel
Grafter

Wow. That's a very big number.

Assuming PN have 200,000 customers, 1% of the entire customer base is calling every day; or, to put it another way, the average customer will call PN once every 4 months. That's much higher than I would have expected, to be honest.

Add to that the number of ticket enquiries from customers (which I am guessing would be a multiple of the number of telephone enquiries?) and you start to get a grasp of how big a logistical operation CS must be and how difficult it must be to get it right.

I'm increasingly impressed! Smiley
Community Veteran

Its actualy more like 150,000 customers I think, and those numbers are about what I would have expected.

No need to fish out the exact numbers Dave, just wondering how they compared to the area I used to be in. One of the desks that was run was for Royal Mail, it was the internal helpdesk for Royal Mail staff, so the customer base was not dissimilar to that of PN, around 150,000 - and averaging about 2 to 2.5 thousand a day.

Other desks brought into the area were a little busier at about 5 or 6K a day, the latest one being introduced around the time I left was looking at taking nearer 12K a day if I recall correctly.

It was about this time that I actually interviewed and set on an ex-employee of Plusnet, he left after a few weeks though - I think the travel to some of the sites we were migrating to Chesterfield put him off - traveling to Leicester and back every day - nice.

No real reason for my asking, just gaining a better understanding I suppose.

Ta.
N/A

I've had to call several times today, and the wait was 20-30 mintues at times, although it can be quicker. I know NTL is terrible- usually 30- 40 mins!
Quality is most important on your CS, as already said.
N/A

For 0870 and 0845 alternatives try this http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php
If you find the normal number, usually you will, just register and use 18866 or 1899 and your call will cost just 3p no matter how long. Works well with Sky( a free no.)!!, and most similar scam numbers. Cool Try +net for its normal geographical number, you will be suprised. :lol:
N/A

Last thing I heard, the normal geographical number stopped working for CS access, due to the move of the CSC.
Community Veteran

These types of geographical converters have been discussed elsewhere, please do a search for the relevent topic (in an effort to keep this one on topic).

I think quoting an average waiting time of 2 mins is a little misleading,l imagine this only includes answered and not abandoned calls. Also I'd expect to get through in seconds from midnight til 8am and these sort of stats make the waiting time for peak times appear incorrectly.

I think only the average during peak times should be advertised, therefore people dont get false expectations and less calls will be abandoned.

Chris
N/A

Nice try. Here's some tips:
You will not get an answer on 0114 2200000.
The call centre is open 24/7, so take advantage of that and try to call at quiet times (which I imagine is 8pm-8am).