cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CS statistics for ticket closures: Fact or fiction?

N/A

Looking at CS stat's page for tickets the following info is given:-

Ticket Handling
This table represents the average time to close a ticket created within the "Contact Us" ticketing solution or through a telephone based query.

Ticket Progress

Current Average Time Target Time Last Updated
5 hours, 1 minute 8 hours July 23, 2005, 7:24 am

The link text associated with this page says view our unique upto the minute statistics - well looking at that last update what is unique is PN's definition of upto the minute Wink

A ticket I rasied yesterday at 10am took until 4am this morning to get answered, my reply went it at 9:49 and so far nothing further has been heard...

Ticket id: 17099839

Not very close to either the current average or the target time Sad

The ticket is a simple one asking why I'm going to be charged £45 to transfer my domain away... I would like an answer from someone before I see what nominet can do.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Something tells me the "up to the minute claim was before the system got stuck at 10 hours whatever - but still how long can it take to change some text, less time than this reply?

Plusnet need to stop rushing around, calm down, and ask the customers what they want thenon the back of that (the best advice they will ever receive) change their business practices back to their old self (what the customers want) they are still an exceptional ISP compared to many others but if they are not careful their customer base will leave for a cheaper ISP with a poor service quality.
N/A

The ticket is a simple one asking why I'm going to be charged £45 to transfer my domain away...

How long you had the domain name with PN?
I was told that it would cost for me to transfer mine out and it said that when I went through the transfer out link, here is the ticket comments
"The full charge would be £52.88. This is because the domain was renewed within the last year"
But then I asked again and they decided
"Apologies for this. I overlooked the current dates.
We can transfer this out free of charge. "
N/A

Meh, my ticket has gone like 3 days without having a reply. I've replied to it once more asking the question I need answering. But no reply :/
N/A

They've changed my domain status so I've transferred it out for free. Didn't really want to move hosts but all the cgi problems here left me with little choice. Sad
Community Veteran

Meh, my ticket has gone like 3 days without having a reply. I've replied to it once more asking the question I need answering. But no reply :/

Just a point doing that pushes your ticket to the back of the queue so technically it's not the best thing to do i'd ring or PM the comms team instead - much more youeither make the agent sweat or get a public whipping.

For the "Protection of CS agents PC club" I am jesting, not serious.
N/A

Adding comments to a ticket no longer pushes tickets to the back of the queue.

For almost a year now, tickets have been dealt with based on the time they where actioned.
Community Veteran

ah, thanks i had only ever heard as above since I started posting here which was definatley less than a year ago!
N/A

Adding comments to a ticket no longer pushes tickets to the back of the queue.

For almost a year now, tickets have been dealt with based on the time they where actioned.

And hence a large problem - they should be in order of when they were first raised
N/A

But that in itself would create a much larger issue.

Lets examine what each method means.

1: based on action time

When a user raises a ticket, or replies to one after support have answered them, they are deemed to have actioned teh ticket.

Tickets are then answered in order (in theory) of this time, so that everybody get an answer.

New replies added after this time can't push it further away from an answer.

2: based on opening time

If they where to answer based on when they are first raised, then so long as a ticket is open, it is clogging up the system and preventing people getting answers.

I may have opened a ticket last week, but replied to it this morning. Under your system, my ticket would have higher priority than that of somebody raising a request yesterday.

This would be unfair, as they are of equal importance.

If you base it on when the user submits the request, and on when they action it, you have an even playing field.
N/A

I disagree.

Having used many helpdesk systems and spent many a day evaluating them(and even designed/written my own for the company I worked for) it is key that older calls are monitored and prioritised - if nothinbg else than for good customer service and to avoid complaints.

Those calls/tickets that a have a set time for completion or are awaiting an event (say BT to activate line on such a date) are normally placed in a suspend queue and do not appear on the awaiting action queue (they appear if a different view is used showing all open calls). Several "views" should be available depending the persons role.

To organise calls by last action does not highlight the calls that have been open for a long time and need escalation or more input for a resolution. For instance as a manager I want to know and understand why some calls/tickets have been there a long time and thus ensure they are kept monitored. Anybody can add an action (say emailed user for more details) and it get shoved to the bottom – that’s not a good idea as it should be chase up again if there is no reply within a few hours / minutes or whatever is appropriate to the individual call/ticket. That is the biggest mistake made – all calls are equal – they are not , some have a higher priority than others. Calls need to be priotised by someone (or the system) as soon as they arrive.

If there are really any long term or complex calls then these should be managed separately perhaps as a project and with an individual having ownership.

It also stops “cherry picking” by keeping the oldest calls at the front of the queue.
N/A

Ah, I think we are on the same wavelength here. I do have a few small issue with what you have said though.

Cherry picking is not possible. Each time a agent works through the ticket system, they are given the chance to move on to the next ticket, without action. However, agents with high rates of clicking the button, need to explain there actions, and appropriate action is taken.

Tickets on hold queues already exist. Many of the systems are already automated, and many tickets do not need action from a agent. Though when automation fails, the system will send the ticket to an appropraite queue for attention.

It also stops “cherry picking” by keeping the oldest calls at the front of the queue.

Can you state exactly what you mean by "oldest calls"?

From the looks of things, we are looking at it pretty much the same, with slight differances.

There are already processes in place to manage older tickets. These are done by team leaders and the comms team.
N/A

By oldest calls, i mean those raised first of all. i.e. one raisedon say 7th july comes before one raised on the 9th July regardless of what actions have taken place.

For instance I find it odd that a call that is raised on say the 7th at 8am is updated by an agent and returned to the customer for comment who then updates it and returns it at 12.00 noon on the 8th would be further "back" in the queue than one raised on the 8th July at 10am. Basically what I am saying is calls should be in ticket number order.
N/A

Just being a bit nosey (as a newish customer) but you seem to know a lot about the systems and procedures - have you / do you work for PN?
N/A

By oldest calls, i mean those raised first of all. i.e. one raisedon say 7th july comes before one raised on the 9th July regardless of what actions have taken place

OK, so if I raise a ticket on a mondya, have get a responce on a wednesday. Only I leave my reply to the friday.

That means ti took 2 days for PlusNet to action it.

If a person that raises a ticket on the Wednesday is to expect the same sort of turn around, are you saying that my answer on the Friday, should now get higher priority that the person on the wednesday?

That seems kinda unfair to me, that tickets that could potentialy be closed off, can get higher priority that those that potentialy deserve attention.