cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CN21 coming soooooooon !!!!!

BigRick

My Pontypridd exchange is due to have the CN21 upgrade soon “July 2007”. What services does Force9 provide that would utilise the CN21 network? and if none WHEN?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=SWPN

I live about 5.5km away from the exchange. I average around 1 Mbps download

Connection

ADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
G.DMT SHOWTIME 512000 1632000 11.5 62

http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/ suggests that I would have little to no performance increase?!?

When the big switchover happens will I notice any increase in performance?

I’m sure I read somewhere that ADSL2+ can reduce crosstalk on lines further from the exchange by reducing the signal strength to the lines closer to exchange? Anyone got any info / hope?

Tongue
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

One of the first ones to be done. Unfortunately that means it's being rolled out before there's anything to go along with it.

The plan is to move both voice and broadband to an IP based network and with it bring ADSL2+ but also be able to offer broadband services without a voice line and other stuff like that.

This will be a little further down the line when these things start happening, last I heard was there was a good chance of the first ADSL2+ switchover/trial happening towards the end of this year/beginning of next.

At 5.5km though as you say you may not see much increase in speed but there is a possibility of a stability improvement. ADSL2+ can adjust the sync speed without a resync for example, so if your connection drops a bit now, it should do it a lot less with ADSL2+.
BigRick

Hi thanks for the late night reply

The plan is to move both voice and broadband to an IP based network and with it bring ADSL2+ but also be able to offer broadband services without a voice line and other stuff like that.

Who's plan F9's or BT's? (are they the same now?)

Will the ISP's need to put equipment in the exchange?

I dont get dropped connection problems just slow downloads Sad
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Have you tried tweaking RWIN (link)? Though unless you can sync above 1728kbps for 3 days I guess you are limited to 1000kbps download by your BTw profile.
David
BigRick

I have already tweaked my MTU settings to its max 1492. Is that all I need to do?

I have also restarted my router and am now connected at 2.2Mbps although my speed test results are no better Sad

I was hoping someone could give me the news that the new CN21 network would solve the problems associated with my long line length......................................

Is my only option is to move homeHuh

Anyone know anything about extended reach adsl ?Huh
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Who's plan F9's or BT's? (are they the same now?)

Well there's an aspect of both. BT Wholesale will upgrade the exchange equipment and when they do we'll make arrangements for our customers to be able to make the switch. The exact dates and details haven't been finalised and probably won't be for several months yet.
BigRick

keep on the case Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I have already tweaked my MTU settings to its max 1492. Is that all I need to do?

That's probably all you need to do, you can experiment a bit at 1Mbps it's probably about right.

I have also restarted my router and am now connected at 2.2Mbps although my speed test results are no better Sad

So long as it stays at that speed then the throughput rate will increase in about 3-5 days.

I was hoping someone could give me the news that the new CN21 network would solve the problems associated with my long line length......................................

Is my only option is to move homeHuh

Anyone know anything about extended reach adsl ?Huh

The technology that you need is VDSL2, also known as FTTC (fibre to the cabinet). That moves the DSLAM equipment from the exchange to the green street cabinets, thus reducing the copper run significantly in most cases.

It's currently in closed trial in a couple of areas of the country, no date for a rollout as yet, but probably not for a couple of years at least.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

I have also restarted my router and am now connected at 2.2Mbps although my speed test results are no better

Keep a check on the profile shown by clicking the High-Speed Broadband icon under Connection settings on the portal. That shows the maximum throughput you can achieve. If you manage to sync at 2272kbps for 3 days the BTw rate adaptive system should increase your profile to 2000kbps. F9 base their value on that profile.

As far as doing anything else, you could try the DSLreports tweak tester mentioned in the help page previously referenced (link) and see what that recommends (e.g. for RWIN); any improvement is likely to be small, but a small increase from a low value can be significant. Posting the URL the test gives here would help further comment.
David