cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHANGING TO HOME PHONE AND MOVING

jmd
Grafter

Right, I know you have the Help Assistant but it does not answer my query and I cannot find a way of contacting you to other than this to get query answered! And probably this is not the right place for query! but
I wish to move my phone calls/line to HomePhone but change address in about 8 weeks - so want to know if worth moving phone line now or then? If whenever, I move it - if I have changed over to you - how do get new phone number? There is a phone line there. Then, I will also have to move broadband too to that number. Do I need any information from that address before broadband can be moved?
Only, I have seen other posts where people have been without broadband for days due to not getting the move right so I want to be sure everything is OK.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Obviously, this needs a staff member to answer the query but having had Homephone since last year, I can say that it takes two weeks for the transfer and the process is highly automated so it could possibly be simpler to change when you have moved, although I stand to be corrected of course. I might add that I have been very happy with the changeover - everything on one bill and no nasty surprises!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Let's treat the house move first. If you've already got Home Phone with us then, then we can move both the voice and broadband service to the new address. Normally we can do this with just the new address details if you are moving to a new area code. If you are staying within the same area code then we can usually transfer the existing number across.

To do the house move you can use the Move My ADSL tool on the portal which will ask you for all the details we need and from there process the order and process any fees.

Switching the Home Phone over to us now should be fine, in fact it's probably easier to do it now as a two step process (move the voice then do the house move) than do it the other way around.

If you want move the phone then you can do that via via the Phone Calls link at the top of the page, as cairns16 says should take a couple of weeks to transfer.

When you're ready to make the move give us about 3 weeks notice to start the process off. Moving Home Phone and Broadband takes around 10-15 working days to do the voice move and then once the voice is active a further 7-10 days to activate the broadband.
jmd
Grafter

Thank you for information.
I will not be in same area code/same county! Am moving from one side of Pennines [will be nearer to f9!] to other so number will need to change. Obviously it will need to change from number at the new address - will that be sorted by yourselves?
It certainly seems a good idea to change voice phone now especially as it takes 2 weeks to transfer, and you feel it is easier to do it that way round!
jmd
Grafter

sorry, but forgot to ask if it makes any difference if the provider you are moving from to homephone is not BT as actually it is TalkTalk?
N/A

Re: CHANGING TO HOME PHONE AND MOVING

Right, I know you have the Help Assistant but it does not answer my query and I cannot find a way of contacting you to other than this to get query answered! And probably this is not the right place for query! but
I wish to move my phone calls/line to HomePhone

Think very carefully before changing your home phone to F9

At the moment if you are with BT you get a fault you ring BT on 150 they fix it for you no cost etc.

With F9 telephone, if you get a fault don't try calling 150 because BT will tell you are not one of their customers and will not help you.

So you will have to contact F9 and they in turn call BT and if it a none fault you will be billed by BT. BT then call back f9 then they contact you.

In addition you now know that F9 are difficult to contact you said it in your ticket. F9 will charge you for ringing their fault line (BT is 150 free) and you will be on hold longer with F9
One last thing if you need a fault repair BT customers get priority over F9 remember you are not BT customer

Michael
N/A

Don't do it!
A common theme on this forum, is that the F9 is OK until you have to change something or something goes wrong.
Then the problems start...
You can't contact anyone other than via the online, they reply the next day.
They have to liaise with BT which is problematic and nothing gets done for ages.

I moved twice with 4 months and was offline for about 10 weeks, admittedly the second time was about 1 week.
The only person who seems to work at Force9 is Mand Beckett and if it wasn't for her I would have gone by now - still thinking about it though!

The problem seems to be that BT still have the monopoly and their customers seem to get the better service!
jmd
Grafter

some people to be very depressing about f9....... but since I do not presently use BT for phone I cannot comment on their service but must say that trying to contact TalkTalk re phone is impossible!
I am concerned though if I found myself without email and phone for any more than few days!
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

House moves as a process can be a nightmare, due to the various systems and processes needed to complete.

That said, both ourselves and BT Wholesale have improved considerably over the last few months, and things are now much better.

If we have a couple of weeks notice there should be no problem, and if there is we still have time to sort it before you're reliant on the service at one property and one only.

Regarding calling BT on 150, you would need to call us on either our 0114 number (free with lots of calling plans including mobiles) or the 0845 number (no more than a couple of pence a minute most of the time). You may end up paying for a quick phone call, but you get the same engineers as BT Retail use (Openreach ones) and the same underlying service, with the convenience of one bill and possibly a cost saving too. Smiley
jmd
Grafter

Thanks for your assistance - I had decided to change over, considering that only dealing with one supplier would ease matters - also hopefully work out cheaper!
I assume that I will be notified when the phone service is switched over. Smiley
Mand
Grafter

Yep, you'll get an email when the order is accepted, and an email once the transfer is complete.

You can also see this as Service Notices on your account in the portal.