cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI fiasco worsens?

kosh2
Grafter

CGI fiasco worsens?

We are continuing to investigate the cause of this issue and have taken measures to prevent this from happening again.

Just received an email about the cgi fiasco. Does the above quote mean they have lost the data. There is no hint in this latest email that they are still trying to retrieve the data. Come on, someone from PN just say what has to be said.
20 REPLIES
benskia
Grafter

CGI fiasco worsens?

This is so obvious that someone has hacked in, typed something like del *.*, and then it got stopped half way through.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

CGI fiasco worsens?

No-one's hacked it, I can assure you of that. I don't personally know all the information yet so I can't really go into much detail, but we should have the answers tomorrow.
N/A

omfg

/me {slow hand clap} :shock:

well done guys...

First you delete my email

Send out 20,000 customers details

Now you delete my cgi webspace

How long will this take for theregister to pick upon this latest human error(two consoles open bla bla malarky):?:

Edited: for impact.
N/A

CGI fiasco worsens?

Don't forget the details of 20,000 customers being sent out as well!
N/A

CGI fiasco worsens?

Don't forget the details of 20,000 customers being sent out as well!

Evil freaks out Evil

didnt know about that...
N/A

CGI fiasco worsens?

In regards to the 20,000 customers details being sent out:

Article on The Register located here

Thread on this forum located here

Article on the "PlusNet User Group" located here
N/A

The service can't get any worse - can it ?

Come back from holiday to find my CGI webspace has evaporated (once more) no server back up no message to say what to do - it appears we should all know at some point that we can upload all the missing files. I find this out after waiting over an hour on the telephone for someone to tell me that I should have worked out that the server was available for uploading files - what is the point of all these updates when they don't even tell you that ?

I am no expert at CGI so it is one almighty task to get it sorted out and of course PlusNet don't provide any help !!!

Time to move on one thinks

Ayrshireroots watch out C and D you may be next ?Huh
N/A

CGI fiasco worsens?

I have to agree with everything that everybody else has said. If they cannot restore the data then let us know. We can then recover our own CGI spaces. But if we are halfway through then they decide to recover all of our hard work disappears again and has been pointless. I can only suggest moving your websites to another web provider. Plusnet you have been absolutely useless. You have not given sufficient information and 4 days on we are still none the wiser as to what action to take. People vote with your feet!
CRTC
Grafter

CGI fiasco worsens?

I can't help but not be surprised about that latest service status update with regard to the CCGI service. It seems that data has certinaly been lost, but they don't want to say that in words.

What precautions have been setup to avoid this sort of thing happening again? They haven't even explained how only customers with names starting a & b (and maybe some c's) got effected? Don't customers with names starting with the remaining letters of the alphabet have CCGI scripts/pages?

2006 has seen +net stumble from one farcical situation to another, with seemingly little desire to stop and fix things (although as I write this, it seems LLU transfers and new CCGI accounts have been temporarily suspended).

After this latest error, I will be moving my website away from +net sharpish, and I would recommend anybody look at alternative hosts if they have anything of value on their CCGI space.
N/A

CGI fiasco worsens?

I just cannot get my CGI space back to where I was, so rather than spend all my time uploading and configuring this I am going to take my business elsewhere.
Can anyone suggest the best Broadband provider and also the best webspace / CGI provider that provides technical help.

Ayrshireroots
N/A

CGI fiasco worsens?

Still no response from plusWet. Try http://www.freevirtualservers.com/hosting this was suggested in another topic. I would happily put my cgi space back together but I do not know whether PlusWet are going to undo my good work when and if they restore because they will not tell us what they are doing. dreadful service from what I can now only believe to be a dreadful company. I have recommended this company to many of my friends. I am now really embarrased to have to admit that I have got it 100 percent wrong. PLUSNET what is going on?
kosh2
Grafter

Re: The service can't get any worse - can it ?

Come back from holiday to find my CGI webspace has evaporated

Ahha, I have found a pattern because I too was on holiday and found my site missing and I am sure someone else here was on holiday.

So if your user name is a or b and you go on holiday in August you will loose data.

(PN user clutching at straws for any explanation.)
N/A

CGI fiasco worsens?

I have tried phoning them. After 1 hour of being told that their staff are busy, I gave up. I can only asume that they are still not recovering the CGI space. I would suggest firing "questions" at them until they do something positive. Either restore or admit they do not have the backups and we the users can begin recovering. At this rate it's likely I will get a "Red Card" from the MD and my account will get removed. That's what happens to problem cutomers!
James
Grafter

CGI fiasco worsens?

Hi,

There's an update being written currently and should go out later on this afternoon.

I wouldn't suggest raising tickets as it would be relatively (very) pointless.