cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI dieing......

Walrus
Grafter

CGI dieing......

Can I draw your attention to this thread.....

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30580

It would seem the CCGI is dieing on its feet.

Internal server errors accessing websites
Slow DB
Slow Page delivery
FTP dropout
Shell dropout
10 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

CGI dieing......

We are looking into this, however there's nothing showing on our monitoring systems that may be causing this.
N/A

CGI dieing......

Ben, not being unkind I think given the number of people reporting this there is a serious issue with the scaling/load balancing setup of the mysql servers and the ccgi servers...

I know the old cgi system had its problems but they where mostly security related, now we've got a nice new secure box... the only problem is it doesn't really seem to be able to cope with the demand Sad.
csogilvie
Grafter

CGI dieing......

We are looking into this, however there's nothing showing on our monitoring systems that may be causing this.

So, you are lookining in to a potential problem, that people are reporting on the forums - but Service Status still doesn't document it?
N/A

CGI dieing......

Colin - they've not put up a potential issue with mysql servers since we first mentioned it in the forums and via tickets so why on earth do you expect them to update the service info on the day the fault has come to light.

I'm sorry PN are getting to be joke now with regards to customer support and infrastructure (excluding the critical parts such as dns and the ip backbone).
Ben_Brown
Grafter

CGI dieing......

We are aware of problems with one of the mysql servers performing slower than it should, and are currenly investigating a long term solution for this.
N/A

CGI dieing......

Well why don't you add it to the service status pages then? This is not a new issue... my original ticket is dated the 28th JUNE! - more than enough time to update the service status page.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

CGI dieing......

This hasn't been put on service status as although the server isn't operating as well as we would like it to, it is still working well enough for most sites.
LiamM
Grafter

CGI dieing......

In my opinion, if it is causing enough concern for you to be "thinking of a long-term solution" it should at least be changed to Amber status.
craigbrass
Grafter

CGI dieing......

Well I always thought if there was any problems at all with a service, it was changed to amber. Gotta agree with Liam that it should be though.
N/A

CGI dieing......

Yep, I concur - especially as I'm not the only one bitching about it...

Still not to worry I might just be able to get my site going in 6 months... on another host (I know CGI is a 'value add' but it is still a service which is provided as part of my monthly fee so that tends to imply the service should at least be useable - and my site isn't too complex and as I've proved with my speed test script it is not complex queries which take time but things like insert operations - my test insert is simply
INSERT INTO test (msg) VALUES ("This is a test")
which isn't exactly stress testing even when done 50 times Wink )

So this its good enough for most people I disagree with - if the server is loaded then no matter how simple or complex your query is you're still up the creak.

Not to mention I've had simple connect calls in perl take 8+ seconds Sad