cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI Webspace Backup Tips, anyone?

Firejack
Grafter

CGI Webspace Backup Tips, anyone?

I've just noticed the announcement about the upcoming maintenance on the CGI server which recommends we backup our CGI webspace before Sunday, when the work is to be carried out.
I'd like to know if anyone has any tips for backing up the CGI webspace easily. I've tried downloading all the files by FTP but I get permissions issues with 80% of my files since they were generated by scripts on the server. If I was to download the content of my CGI webspace via a script it would take hours and hours which I don't have spare before Sunday.

Can anyone help me out? I'd die if I lost anything on my CGI account.

Thanks in advance.

Later,

Andrew.
4 REPLIES
benoh
Grafter

RE: CGI Webspace Backup Tips, anyone?

> I've just noticed the announcement about the upcoming maintenance on the CGI server which recommends we backup our CGI webspace before Sunday, when the work is to be carried out.
> I'd like to know if anyone has any tips for backing up the CGI webspace easily. I've tried downloading all the files by FTP but I get permissions issues with 80% of my files since they were generated by scripts on the server. If I was to download the content of my CGI webspace via a script it would take hours and hours which I don't have spare before Sunday.
>
> Can anyone help me out? I'd die if I lost anything on my CGI account.
>

Hi Andrew,
We are removing data from home directories of accounts that are no longer active with us. This is a straight forward task to get the info from the database and remove the files but we just put a warning out "just in case" Smiley

We will be taking backups of whats removed and we'll keep hold of it for some time.

Ben O'Hara
Network Support Analyst
Plusnet Technologies Ltd.
Firejack
Grafter

Phew.... ok, Ben. Panic over Smiley I was a little worried for a second there.

Later,

Andrew.
N/A

> Phew.... ok, Ben. Panic over Smiley I was a little worried for a second there.
>
> Later,
>
> Andrew.

Linux tip for you if you didn't know (for archiving):, cp -a will copy recursively and keep all the permissions and symlinks, etc. Very good for backing up!

Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
Firejack
Grafter

Mark Scott offered to help me in one of the PlusNet newsgroups but he hasn't got back to me yet.
And no. I didn't know that. I hadn't so much as touched Linux until I telneted into my CGI account for the first time a few months back. I'm still a Linux Newbie Smiley

Where do I type this command? Do I use Telnet and type it in the /files/homeX/username/ root directory?
Where is the file outputted to for me to download it?

Thanks a lot Mike. You have been very helpful as always.

Later,

Andrew.

PS Just a warning. I just killed the second best player in the MechWarrior 4 Vengeance League... so if you want a butt kicking sometime too learn some tricks off the master (yea right LOL) I'm the man Cheesy