cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGI Access Using Alternative Hosted Domain Name

N/A

Hi,

I am just trying to get to grips with the PHP/MySQL offering here and a glaring problem for me is that I am not able to use a hosted domain name as part of URL which links to the CGI space (as it is obviously a separate server).

I would like to type into my browser:

www.tcva.co.uk/[page].php

and have the web server return the page located at:

ccgi.pearsonz.plus.com/[page].php

I understand that the web server cannot serve php pages, but can anyone provide any enlightenment on how to make this happen, if at all!

Thanks,

S :-)
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

This can be done via the Domain Names section on the left.

You need to setup www on your domain to point to ccgi.plus.net. (note the final dot is important)

See the domains tutorial under usertools which explains how to do this. Once done, wait 48 hours for the changes to be acted on.

Basically:

- Click Domain Names
- Click configure for the domain you want
- Select other under domain hostings settings section
- Click configure dns records
- Enter

www A ccgi.plus.net. (the lst dot is important)

Finally click save.
CRTC
Grafter

Hi there.

There is one unconvential way of doing this. You will need to use frames, and have three pages which will achieve what you want.

1) Index page (index.htm) which will have two pages in frames:

a) top frame which has a height of zero. Call this blank.htm as it won't have any content.

b) the second frame is set to 100% of the browser window height and will be defined as your script or page on the ccgi server. So in your index.htm file, you specify the src of this second frame as http://ccgi.pearsonz.plus.com/[page].php

Once you've done this, when you browse to http://www.tcva.co.uk/ your index.htm will load the blank.htm file, which won't be visible (due to zero height), but instead will show the second frame which is coming of the ccgi server.

This makes it look like your CCGI script/page is located at http://tcva.co.uk...

It is a bit of a fudge and isn't sutiable for all occassions, but it may just be what you need.

Cheers

Im
p.s. If I've confused you, apologies! Any questions, please do ask.
N/A

Many thanks for the replies.

I have considered the layer option and it would certainly work, but I am a little concerned about browser compatibility i.e. layers, iframes, etc.. I may yet go down this route though, but had not considered your layout suggestion, so thanks.

Regarding the possibility of configuring DNS records, I was wondering whether I can point to specific pages, since although I did not make it clear in my original post, I need to use pages located in both cgi space and web space (at least initially anyway).

Can I specify that

www.tcva.co.uk/[page1].php

points to

ccgi.pearsonz.plus.com/[page1].php

whilst:

www.tcva.co.uk/[page2].php

points to

ccgi.pearsonz.plus.com/[page2].php

Thanks for your help so far.

Community Veteran

No, you can only point www.domain.com to your root directory of your ccgi space, you cannot specify individual file mappings.

So www.domain.com will just point ccgi.username.plus.com

So pages a.php, b.php fred/a.php, fred/b.php, <anything>.php can be accessed using www.domain.com/a.php or ccgi.username.plus.com/a.php, www.domain.com/fred/b.php or ccgi.username.plus.com/fred/b.php or www.domain.com/<anything>.php or ccgi.username.plus.com/<anything>.php
N/A

Thanks.

Perhaps I should consider moving all of my web space files across to my CGI space and then point my domain name there.

Presumably my standard html files can at least be served by the CGI server?

Community Veteran

The ccgi server has all the same facilities as the www server so yes, you can run your complete website from the ccgi server. Just don't put any files in the cgi-bin directory.
N/A

Are there any issues with the speed of the CGI server, as I have read one or two posts suggesting that this can be a problem? It is free after all, which means that it needn't be up to the job I think is the corporate line ;-)!!!

I don't want to move things across and then find out that the PHP/MySQL server is not up to the job.

What are your thoughts?

Community Veteran

Others will have to comment on the speed as I don't use it (have my own systems).

I know there have been issues with the speed recently and I'm not sure if anything has actually been done. It really depends on how active your website is.

You could try it just for yourself by copying your site onto the ccgi and using the ccgi.username.plus.com link, and see how it performs. That is probably the only way you will know.
N/A

Thanks I will give that a go and if anyone else can give me any experiences regarding CGI server speeds I would appreciate it.

Good luck with founding the 20,000 posts Club - I am proud to have been part of it!