cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Broadband

N/A

Business Broadband

RE: the £34.99 per month business package - with up to 832k upload speeds.

Does anyone here currently use this? Any comments on how good the speeds are (FTP, P2P)?

Is all traffic in the GOLD queue on this package?

Is there a 12-month contract with it, or a monthly one?
56 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Business Broadband

All business packages carry an annual contract.

Usenet/P2P traffic is in silver.
N/A

Business Broadband

Great, so it's just as rubbish and worthless as the Teleworker account.

Besides the increased upload speed, what exactly does this package provide that the £10-cheaper Teleworker package doesn't?
James
Grafter

Business Broadband

It's on IPStream Max Premium, which should offer a higher prioritised contention across the BT Network. Along with higher upload speeds that you eluded to.
ceridwen
Grafter

Business Broadband

As noted in another thread, LLU accounts also get similar upload speeds.

Higher priority on the BT networks doesn't really have much effect if there is no corresponding higher prioritisation when on the PN network.

Matthew
N/A

Business Broadband

The full comparison list can be found here.

There are some other benefits, but like most things - they are only beneficial if you need or want them.
N/A

Business Broadband

I'm a bit stuck then. Short of going on PAYG again, and then constantly keeping a close eye on every MB of data used, my business either has to work without P2P or pay £40 and get tied in to Sky for 12 months - not ideal, since I may be moving before the end of that term.
ceridwen
Grafter

Business Broadband

PM and Sky aren't the only ISPs

Matthew
Mand
Grafter

Business Broadband

Hi

P2P is never going to be high priority on a business package, in fact the only package where this gets high priority is PAYG, simply because you pay for each GB you use.

Would a PAYG package with a few GB included not be suitable for you? You can set a data transfer cap as well so you don't get any nasty surprises come your billing date.
N/A

Business Broadband

Not really. Firstly, £15.99 for 2GB of data transfer is not a very attractive price. If I were to use 15GB in any given month, I'd be looking at almost £36 per month! Secondly, it's a high price to pay for the amount of P2P I'd actually need to use. But I do need to use it to a small degree. Stopping me from using it at all is completely wrong.

This year my business is going to get very busy indeed, and I will be downloading and uploading large CMYK TIFF files, InDesign files, and PDF files. Most of this is done via FTP, some needs to be done via P2P. I'm unlikely to go beyond 20GB in any month. Right now Teleworker is no use to me, as P2P is totally blocked.
N/A

Business Broadband

Well given that Usenet has now been shifted to Silver, I'd like to ask just what exactly IS prioritised on a Business account now? Because 'prioritised on the network at all times' is how these products have been advertised and what some of us are paying for, and that no longer seems to be the case!

The only protocol that I know of now that gets any different priority is FTP - which I don't use anyway!

VPN on the other hand I really do need to run at full pelt, but this is only in the Gold queues on business accounts, just as it is on residential accounts. As soon as the network gets busy this starts to gets squeezed out by VOIP,HTTP,Gaming and all the other 'more important' protocols.

It seems to me that PN have quietly made a fundemental change to business products, and as usual there's been no notification or update to the product definition.

So I'd invite PN to come clean please. Aside from FTP and increased upload speeds for some of us - exactly what is your definition of "prioritised" now and what is actually in place to ensure it happens?
N/A

Business Broadband

They just mean that business traffic is prioritised above residential traffic, which is also known as the Mud queue. Surely you're not expecting quality from this company's products?
James
Grafter

Business Broadband

The main difference that I am aware of is the fact that FTP is in Gold.

I will try and get hold of any other differences between Premier and Business once Mark comes out of his meeting. He's the Prod Dev manager.
Zathras
Grafter

Business Broadband

Not really. Firstly, £15.99 for 2GB of data transfer is not a very attractive price. If I were to use 15GB in any given month, I'd be looking at almost £36 per month!

I think its £14.99 for 2gb and £26.99 for 16gb
N/A

Business Broadband

The main difference that I am aware of is the fact that FTP is in Gold.

I will try and get hold of any other differences between Premier and Business once Mark comes out of his meeting. He's the Prod Dev manager.

So, did you manage to find anything out James? Are we getting any priority or are you mis-selling your business products?

I have to say that I'm pretty disgusted now having found out that PAYG, your cheapest package is getting better network priority than the Business packages - with all of it's traffic on Gold.

It's hardly surprising my VPN is so laggy as that's Gold too -and I'm sure it's simply being forced off the network by all the titanium and other gold traffic. The problems particularly noticeable when 4pm hits - pings to my work server start at around 25-40ms at 10am and degrades all day - after 4pm they can be around 2000ms or simply time out.

I also lost connection 4 times yesterday - at 10:43, 11:58, 12:01pm and again at 4:01. The last 3 being around lunchtime and the switch to 'peak' seem a little suspicious to me. I will be keeping a close eye on it today to see what happens.

I've already queried VPN priority once with support and the outcome was that it was correctly profiled in gold (ticket #20589309) but clearly that isn't cutting it. Is there any possibility VPN can be put in Titanium on Business to try and sort this out at least?