cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in new WebMail?

marley

Bug in new WebMail?

Hi there!

First of all love the new webmail system (well, the simple version, NOT the bandwidth hungry advanced version!) For info I am using WinXP, SP2, IE6.

Tonight I set up the webmail to check for messages every 5 minutes on my main F9 mail account. I then minimised the window. Then I went to open a new window and login to one of my other mailboxes. Checked that mail and minimised the window. (So now I have 2 simple webmail windows, different mailboxes, both minimised). About 15 minutes later I noticed that both windows were displaying the same list of messages! The webmail had somehow updated both windows with the more recent login! Now I do love the feature where when you get new mail, and the window is minimised, it pops up to alert you. But what I didn't know was you could only ever have one mailbox logged in at a time?

Am I going mad as I was sure on the old webmail you could have 2 separate windows both logged in to 2 different mailboxes?

Anyone else seen this happen?

Maybe is too late at night and i'm imagining this! :shock:

Thanks in advance!
Smiley

PS At first I didn't like this new webmail. But since switching to the "simple" mode rather than the "advanced" mode it is a lot like the old system, just better!

PPS The only time it slowed down on me was yesterday at about 6pm. Until then it had been quicker logging into my accounts than the old system. Is it because the advanced version uses so many graphics that the server can not cope with everyone checking their emails at peak time? I know the browser should cache the graphics, but it still has to check on the server to see if they have been updated. With so many graphics this is a heck of a lot of requests back to the server everytime. Or am I talking jibberish?!?!?! :?
10 REPLIES
wizbongre
Grafter

Bug in new WebMail?

I think this is a feature of how IE handles sessions for a number of secure sites...

As you have opened two mail sessions from the same instance of IE the second time you have logged onto webmail has overridden the initial webmail connection.

Its not a bug in the webmail - you can get round it by physically launching two sessions of IE and logging onto your two webmail accounts in the two different sessions.

HTH.
N/A

Bug in new WebMail?

Just tried opening two different accounts on separate instances of IE6 on XP.

When the views refresh, they go to the most recently logged on mail account.

I have multiple mailboxes I would like to monitor and the old system was perfect for that. This is no good at all.
wizbongre
Grafter

Bug in new WebMail?

Oh well... Shows how much I know!!

Does sound like a bug with the software then...
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Bug in new WebMail?

Hi,

I'd suspect that this was down to cookies. The webmail will store information saying which username you've logged into in the cookie. This cookie will get overwritten when you log in with a different username.
N/A

Bug in new WebMail?

Well, that's no flippin use then is it?

Can/will this be fixed?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Bug in new WebMail?

I'm not sure whether it would be classed as a problem or new development work, I suspect the latter. There is a way round and that's to open each account in a different browser, e.g. one in IE, one in Opera, etc.
marley

Bug in new WebMail?

Thanks for the replies. I have to admit that it is annoying. I don't personally need that feature at home (although others will), but at work it is the only way of viewing my F9 emails!

Talking of work has anyone tried using this new webmail on an NT system? I don't know what they have done to the machines at my workplace but I can not compose or reply to any email. I can read them all on the simple and advanced logins, but as soon as you click "reply" on an email or try to "compose" a new mail, Windows NT delivers a nice "Internet Explorer has encountered an error....blah blah blah....Would you like to restart IE?". When IE restarts it just takes you back to a home page set in the browser! I've never known a web page crash IE like that for a long time?! I think the systems we have are Windows NT4 SP6 but I will check tonight when I get into work! (they are definately NT, but I don't know what service pack). The old system did work if that helps! And the work arounf of using different browsers is impossible at work as they (not surprisingly) will not allow us mortals to add anything to the system. :twisted:

Just wondering if this is unique to our work systems or if other people have also seen this?

:?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Bug in new WebMail?

If you can let us know the version of IE and which service pack it is we can try and replicate it from here. I've had a word with the QA team and they suspect it would be down to an earlier version of IE.
The interface may still offer you the advance mode, even if you are using an earlier version.
marley

Bug in new WebMail?

Hi Dave,

Just to clarify this error occurs on the Simple (all browsers) interface. It also occurs on the advanced but as that specifically says (IE6+) then we can forget about that for the moment.

Right, the OS is :
Win NT 4 SP 6

IE is :
Version : 5.50.4807.2300CO
Cipher Strength : 128 bit
Update Versions : SP2; Q832894
This is a customised version of Internet Explorer

The IE info is taken from the "about" box on IE. The bit about "customised version" is also in the about box. I don't know what is customised about it as it looks normal enough. I can see all of the BBC site for example. It has never crashed like this for any other web page I have come across.

Hope this helps! Smiley

Lee
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Bug in new WebMail?

Hi Lee,

I'd have thought the problem was that it was IE5.5, although that should be fine on the simple interface. Can you try a different browser or upgrade to IE6?

I'll see if I can find a copy of NT4 and try and replicate it from here, probably be Monday because my test PC is lying in pieces at the moment and needs to be put back together.